Sci-Fi in Hi-Fi SACD by Neil Norman

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rachael B, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    This is a hybrid SACD that I would think that alot of folks around here would like since this forum's main concern es teatro del casa. The album covers all sorts of sci-fi movie and TV theames, 20 pieces. Neil Norman has a band, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards of all sorts to perform this stuff live. In studio they added plenty of strings, brass, and woodwinds too. He and his band perform at Trek and other sci-fi conventions from what I gathered from the linear notes.

Some of the pieces are pretty short. THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN is just 56 seconds but most are longer. BTW, there are two Superman pieces. The first one is a 2:17 version of the SUPERMAN main theame. My favourite is his 3:30 take on BUCKAROO BANZAI. This is coming from someone who used to get the Buckaroo LD out just to listen to the theame... Shazzam, this is even better!

His take on THE OUTER LIMITS is way more powerful than the original IMO. And if you order now (!), you also get 2001, THE PRISONER, AIRWOLF, STAR WARS, JURASSIC PARK - THE LOST WORLD MEDLEY, SPACE 1999 #2, THE THING, STAR TREK ENCOUNTERS, and many more!

It's a hybrid stereo SACD so anybody can play it. It's on the Audio Fidelity label, (AFZ 012). Like other A-F releases Steve Hoffman mastered it for SACD. Get'em while they're hot, it's lovely! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'm sure it sounds nice, but Neil's previous attempts at arrangements and playing of original film & tv scores are, to put it charitably, somewhat lacking.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I wouldn't call it high art but it's fun enough for me...[​IMG]

4. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

Thanks for the review, Rachael. As a long-time sci-fi fan, I'd seen this one online & wondered about it. I'll check it out when I get a chance (after the Xmas bills are paid off, natch!).

Doug