Sci-Fi Channel's 'MANSQUITO'. Pretty splat-tastic.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Inspector Hammer!, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Anyone else see this? It wasn't bad at all, for a made for cable film that is, it also had some rather startling moments of violence and gore! Especially the massecre at the hospital, their were body parts and 'Resident Evil' style blood splats all over the walls.

I hope they re-run it, I want to burn it onto a dvd and edit out the commercials.

One could also call it Parker Lewis Can't Lose Against A Giant Mosquito because it stars Corin Nemic as a cop who must stop a giant mutant mosquito that's on a bloody rampage!

All in all, a minor made for cable gem.

2. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

It just started here on the West Coast and I am recording it to my Cox PVR for viewing just before bedtime and then recording to my DVDR. Glad to hear that it is worth watching. I almost boycotted Sci-Fi Channel after the "Skeleton Man" abomination last week!!![​IMG]

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Ugh! Your so right, Skeleton Man made me want to scoop out my own eyeballs with a rusty spoon! Just terrible, it ripped off everything from Predator, Sleepy Hollow and 'Skeletor' from He-Man. [​IMG]

4. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Just finished watching "Mansquito" and I must stay I was mildly surprised; not too shabby for a made for TV creature-feature. I actually think this is Sci-fi's best to date. The action was quite good as was the gore (I'm a zombie flick fanatic so gore is a must). Although there were some scenes where the "Mansquito" looked completely CGI, the closeups were pretty good. I think I'll burn this and keep it in the "insect horror" section of my collection.[​IMG]

5. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Comes on again Thursday at 9 p.m. Eastern

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    As with most Sci-Fi features, I'm sure it will be on DVD shortly, probably with more gore as well.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I just can't get over that corny title...Mansquito....Oy vey!

8. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

See, that's the thing. The cheesy title is what gives it the appeal. It's kinda like "The Incredible Melting Man" in that the title itself is almost compelling you to take a look. Hey, a guy turns into a giant mosquito (never been done before), plenty of action and gore, a cheesy title, and decent (passable) acting; what more could you want. Jeff Goldblum would be proud.[​IMG]

9. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Ahh, I can see it in lights now...Mansquito vs The Fly. It would make a fortune! [​IMG]

10. JohnAP

JohnAP Second Unit

My roomate and I decided we had to watch this based on the fact that it stared Parker Lewis and it was called MANSQUITO. Also, it was Saturday so there wasnt' anything else on. Overall, a fun tv movie that wasn't ashamed of its outright cheesiness. The quality of Scifi's tv movies is miles below that of their original series, but they can be fun sometimes.

11. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

This could very well be one of the greatest movie titles ever.
    I kept thinking of the movie 'Matinee' with john goodman there was a horror flick in that called MANT.

12. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I had to watch based on the title. "Mansquito" classic! [​IMG]

It was totaly cheesy but well done cheese. An instant near-classic of its kind. Although I must say I wasn't paying 100% attention to it as I was particpiating in an on-line snark-fest at the movie's expense. :b

13. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Horrible! Just Horrible. Every horror movie cliche in the book. Not even fun to watch in a bad movie way.
    I do have to agree that the title is pretty cool none the less. I want a shirt that says....Mansquito!

Anyone remember the old Superhero show called, Mantis?

14. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Aw c'mon it wasn't that bad. I thought it was superior to "Chupacabra: Dark Waters" that aired a couple of months back. Way better than "Raptor Island" and definately better than "Skeleton Man." I only care that it entertained me. I wasn't looking for a quality movie at all and it surprised me in the way that I remember liking movies of this type when I was a kid. I grew up with the 1950's cheese factor movies like "Attack of the Crab Monsters", "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman", "Them", and the like. All I know is I enjoyed it.[​IMG]

15. derek

derek Second Unit

Seems like 1 out of 3 made for SCIFI movies seems to be decent. Epoch, Bone Snatcher, Mansquito, Interceptor Force, Darklight, Deep Shock were pretty good B movie scifi. Epoch Evolution, IF 2, Chucabra, Skeleton Man, Alien Siege, Python v Boa, Raptor Island and a host of others were a waste of bandwidth...

16. Jason Walstrom

Jason Walstrom Supporting Actor

I wonder how hard it would be to pitch a movie to Sci-Fi or a series even?

17. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Well they seem to be pickier about series. They cancelled Farscape and they don't want to show Doctor Who.
    I just don't get it.

18. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

I'm holding out hope for the next Sci-Fi original -- ALIEN APOCALYSE -- which premieres next weekend and stars the ever-wonderful Bruce Campbell. (Sci-Fi will also be rerunning Bruce's last Sci-Fi original effort, TERMINAL INVASION, that same weekend.) Even if the movie itself is bad (anybody see MINDWARP?!?), Bruce is always fun to watch.

And...to veer just a tiny bit off course... If any Bruce fans haven't kept up with his projects lately, do yourselves a favor and drop by the website to catch up. Among other things, he has a comic book currently on the shelves (he was a guest writer), as well as another real book due to hit shelves soon.

http://www.bruce-campbell.com/

19. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    He must have really needed the money.

20. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Isn't SKELETON MAN the one with the audacity to have "If it bleeds I can kill it..." line?

I've read so many positive reviews of MANSQUITO online that I may have to check it out! One of the wonders of a DVR is the ability to record these sort of shows and watch them when everyone else is asleep and not feel guilty in wallowing in the schlock.