What's new

Schoolhouse Rock DVD may have a segment missing! (No jokes, this is REAL!) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
You know how people were cracking jokes about what could be altered on the Schoolhouse Rock DVD? Well, I KNOW something that could be missing. There's a segment that was never released on video, and hasn't been shown on ABC since the late 80s. It's called "The Weather Show." The only reason it's not on video, and wasn't run on ABC, was because it began with this line:
Ladies and gentlemen, it's the greatest show on earth...the weather!
Apparently, this offended Ringling Bros./Barnum & Bailey, due to the fact that they had copyrighted the phrase "the greatest show on earth." So, ABC pulled the segment from rotation, and it wasn't on any of the videos. And chances are, it's not going to be on the DVD. What do you think we should do about this?
[Edited last by Jeffrey Gray on October 27, 2001 at 09:15 AM]

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Ya know, they could have redubbed that single phrase to something like:
"Ladies & gentleman, it's the grandest show on Earth... the weather!"
and solved the problem. 2 minutes in a recording booth. Seems silly to have pulled the whole segment over something like that!
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
What I think is hilariously ironic is that the other post about this title being edited to be politically correct for the public was itself closed due to political correctness on this very forum :)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have heard about that and also expect it NOT to be included on the DVD. I hope Disney makes some sort of agreement with the circus people ($$?) to include them on the DVD, but I doubt it. I think it's disgusting that Barnum-Bailey have kept kids from learning about the weather on Schoolhouse Rock all these years just because there is one reference to a phrase that is trademarked by them. I have never seen the weather cartoon before, but would LOVE to have it included on the DVD (I"m a meteorology major, what can I say?), but don't see it happening.
furious.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks