What's new

Schlage lock cylinders (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think I have one of these Schlage locks on an exterior door:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/doors-windows/door-locks/schlage/single-cylinder-deadbolt-aged-bronze-88308.html
Well a week ago I broke the key in the lock and when I took the cylinder out, all those little pins and springs blew up into a thousand little pieces... Well now I'm looking for another lock for the Schlage unless I simply buy another whole lock. Homedepot doesn't sell the cylinders... and apparently I bought the wrong lock cylinder.
http://www.amazon.com/Prime-Products-E2103-Sliding-Glass/dp/B000VZKBQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342909320&sr=8-1&keywords=striven+E2103
That looks like exactly what I need but it apparently doesn't seem to work with my exterior lock as I can't get the key out when I unlock it and I can't use the inside knob without the key.
Does anybody know a place that sells these cylinders since that's the only thing I need or should I just buy the whole thing at Home Depot since they do seem to carry it..?
Jay

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
You need to go to a Viennese coffee shop and order "Schlage obers"..... :P
Actually those springs and pins are available at HW stores as a re-keying kit. They have instructions on how to put the target key in place and select the right pins. I've taken them apart and put them back together. No need to buy a new lock.
http://consumer.schlage.com/Project%20Documents/P513-325.pdf

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
i don't even know if I have all the little springs and pins and if I'm going to buy something it's going to be another cyclinder since they're cheap and I'm a renter, it's not my lock but I still rather Do it myself than hire a locksmith, even if it's not my dime.
When I took the cylinderout, all the pins and springs literally exploded all over my hardwood floor!
Jay

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
There is usually a tab holding them in. Assuming you found them all you would have to put them in the right order for your key to work. I bet it wouldn't cost that much if you took your key, cylinder and the parts you had to a locksmith. Having them come to you becomes expensive. Buying a new cylinder will mean a new (different) key.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I need a key anyway since the only key that I have is now split in half! My landlord doesn't seem to care about me having the key to the place, at least we're on fairly friendly terms and this is my second year and I'm a great tenant. (says me! :))
Plus, the key that I had is not original as it was obviously a remade key from TrueValue and I know remade keys don't always seem to work as well as the original...
Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks