Schindler's List now on preorder

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Doug Brown, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Auditioning

Amazon now has several versions of Schindler's List DVD available for preorder with a release date of 3-9-04, including a $55.99 collector's edition. Don't know if this is old news or not, but I thought I'd post in on the forum. I for one have been waiting for this title since I purchased my first DVD player way back when.

2. Beast

Beast Second Unit

Yikes, the Collector's Edition is $79.98 MSRP. Better not be like the ET Boxset. I don't want to pay around $60.00 for a movie that I thought was a very good story, just to get all the bells and whistles. Hopefully it's just one of those sets with the Senitype and such. I can live without books, and fancy packaging gimmicks. But if it's got extra content, then boo on MCA.

3. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Hopefully we will see some specs soon...

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I wonder if the collectors edition is anything like the Laserdisc collection.

Widescreen version
    CD of the score of the movie
    The Book

Me personally as much as I like the movie, I plan on just picking up the basic widescreen version.

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Hopefully Universal will do right by this one...

and not mess anything up like E.T., Jurassic Park, Back to the Future, Monty Python's Meaning of Life, Balto, The Land Before Time, An American Tail, etc. etc. etc.

Spielberg would be a fool not to oversee every single step of this production.

Dan

6. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Looks like they're releasing it the same way they did the Anniversary Edition of Scarface: WS and FS, and then the collector's box set.

7. TomWoodward

TomWoodward Second Unit

Well, Universal has now officially announced the set, although they haven't released full specs or artwork yet. Anyway, release date is indeed the 9th March, and it will indeed be available in widescreen, fullscreen and collector's releases. Wide and full will retail at $26.98 a pop and the collector's set for $79.98. English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and English DTS 5.1 Surround tracks will be included, as well as French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1. Oh, and the collector's set will include a coffee table book, CD Soundtrack, a Senitype and a certificate of authenticity. Not a great deal there that we didn't already know, but it's nice when things are officially confirmed [​IMG] Oh, and the Spielberg produced television series Broken Silence will be available from the same day for $26.98.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    There's a (forced) teaser for this on the SEABISCUIT disc.

- Steve

9. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

The Digitalbits is reporting that, to their knowledge, there are no extras on the DVD. Am I the only one who is disappointed by this?[​IMG] I'm hoping that they may not have the fulls specs yet.

10. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Why are they doing a foolscreen version of this?? They might as well colorize it while they're at it!

11. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

12. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

13. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

If there are no extras and no commentaries, then why release a DVD-18? The running time is about 3 hours 17 minutes, and could easily fit on a single-sided, double-layer disc while retaining a high quality image (I'm not familiar with the space requirements of a DTS track -- would that not fit on a single-sided disc of a 3-hour movie?).

A few weeks back didn't we see a picture of an R2 announcement that appeared to show single-sided discs (with artwork on one side)? Could it be possible that R2 gets two single-sided discs while R1 gets one double-sided disc?

Edit: I just checked DVD Fanatic, and they report the following:

"Although no real features have been confirmed, it is known that there will be 3 versions of the film being released, the normal Fullscreen and Widescreen 2 disc sets and then a Collector's Giftset. The Widescreen and Collector's Edition sets will contain 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfers and all the sets will contain English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and English DTS 5.1 Surround tracks."

DVD Fanatic mention "2-disc sets" while others mention "DVD-18," so does anybody really know???

14. Alvin.G.

Alvin.G. Stunt Coordinator

15. Jim*F

Jim*F Stunt Coordinator

Alvin, I agree completely. I remember the R2 announcement noted "90 minutes of extras" (I assumed a documentary) and showed two single-sided discs. So, I assumed the movie on Disc 1 and the extras on Disc 2.

16. WillG

WillG Producer

17. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

OK thedigitalbits has cover and specs:
    It's official folks! As we reported last week, Universal studios will release Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List on 3/9 (SRP $26.98). The single-disc set will be packaged in both Digipak and keep case packaging (the disc will be DVD-18 - dual sided, dual layered). Seperate anamorphic widescreen and full frame versions will be available, both with audio in English, French and Spanisg Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, as well as English DTS 5.1 audio (along with English captions and French and Spanish subtitles). To our knowledge, there will be no extras on this DVD. There will also be a gift set version available (SRP $79.98) that will include the anamorphic widescreen version of the DVD along with a coffee table book, the CD soundtrack, a senitype cell and a certificate of authenticity. Reportedly, this title is being co-marketed with the DVD release of the Steven Spielberg-produced TV miniseries Broken Silence, although we have no details yet on that. Here's a look at the cover art and the gift set.
    Looks like it will be a dvd 18 in R1, also are fullscreen and widescreen on the same disc? And no extras?? They hopefully be announced later!
    What do you think that plastic thing is?
    But its finally coming! Spielbergs best!

18. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

where on amazon?

The only thing I see is

Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title.

[​IMG]

19. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

"I was hoping we were getting away from that terribly annoying abomination of two-sided DVDs."

I'm hoping to get away from that terribly annoying abomination of 2-disc sets where each disc is 1 side, especially the keepcases with that stupid flappy thing!
    They should have tried to fit the movie on 1 side though, with just 1 audio track- 5.1 Spanish and French dubs is pushing it.

20. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor