Schindler's List defective?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Travis Hedger, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

I purchased Schindler's List at Wal-Mart this weekend and watched it last night. Most of Side A played fine, but had some pixelation and blockiness appear all over the picture and nearly froze my player at the point when the site manager starts beating on his housemaid down in the cellar. I was able to go forward a bit then rewind till after that part was over.

I checked the disc, no scratches at all, and it was secure in the packaging when I purchase it. The player is less than a month old as well, a Panny 47S. Great player BTW for $100 and all the features it has.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience the same or should I see if I can get it exchanged?

2. DanFe

DanFe Second Unit

Site manager. That's a first for calling the brutal camp commandant something so nice. It almost sounds like some legitimate business enterprise.

I'd take the disc back and try another one.

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I bought a copy at Best Buy and had the same problems you did. I can't recall exactly where the pixelation started, but it was atleast an hour or more into the film. I *think* it was near the part where the Nazis are clearing the neighborhood and Schindler see the girl in red. After that point, most of the rest of side A was messed up. It was bad enough that my DVD player froze. My disc didn't have any visible defects either.

Mine is a Sony DVP-NS725P.

I returned it and the replacement disc played fine.

4. Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy Supporting Actor

I bought my copy at Best Buy just this past weekend and had the same problems. The disc didn't have any scratches at all. I will be taking the disc back and getting a replacement.

-D

5. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just found my receipt which I thought I had lost. I'm going back for an exchange tomorrow.

6. Dave-P

Dave-P Agent

I had no problems with a rental version.

7. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

My first disc had pixelation/freezing close to layer change. I had exchanged it for another one which had no problem.

8. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    The first time I watched the DVD, in the scene at the end where the Jews are sitting and waiting, my copy jumped to an earlier scene right when the shot was on Stern. I've later tried it 3-4 times and it hasn't happened again.

9. Tim_Stack

Tim_Stack Second Unit

No problems with my version - what kinds of players are having issues?

10. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I have the Liteon 2001 and saw freezing/pixelization/breakup when the Nazis are clearing the ghetto on side A. An exchange copy worked fine.

11. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I had a problem with mine also on Side A, but it was very early in the film and lasted for only 30 seconds or so. I considered taking it back for another, but I didn't feel like watching the entire film again to check for problems. Universal's quality control is absolutely piss poor and I figured if I have a disc with only 30 seconds of bad stuff, I'm probably lucky.

[​IMG]

12. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Mine breaks up and freezes in the scene where Goeth chooses his maid out of the women lined up. There are no scratches on my disk and no amount of cleaning solved the problem. However, when testing the disc on my computer's DVD-ROM it played okay through that scene, so perhaps that drive has better error correction than my Toshiba player.

The rest of the disc played fine. I considered exchanging it. However, with all the other potential problems being reported here I think I'll just grit my teeth and accept my minor glitch. I agree that Universal should probably consider putting better quality control measures into practice.

13. Sean A

Sean A Stunt Coordinator

My disc froze for a few seconds during the scene involving the round up in the ghetto. It happened for a short moment, then played normally throughout the rest of the film . Not enough of a problem for me to return it

14. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I got mine from Best Buy and my first copy froze when

Schindler was spraying the train cars so the people inside could have water

So I returned it and got another copy. I didn't think to check the second copy though, figured the first one was just a fluke. As Peter Griffin of Family Guy says, "UH OH!" I hope my second copy is ok.