What's new

Schindler's List Collectors Ed Laserdisc - Good Deal? (1 Viewer)

Triad Caniac

Auditioning
Real Name
Jarrett
I just picked up a new, sealed LD Collector's Set of Schindler's List. It includes the novel, CD soundtrack, a booklet and the LD (of course). I found it on Ebay for $40.

Did I get a good deal? It seemed like a steal to still be factory sealed and I see that a collector's set did exist, so it's not bootleg.

I'm excited about getting it and just wanted some comfort.

Thanks,
Jarrett

MattHR

Screenwriter
I just picked up a new, sealed LD Collector's Set of Schindler's List. It includes the novel, CD soundtrack, a booklet and the LD (of course). I found it on Ebay for $40.
Did I get a good deal?
Considering it was originally listed at around $140, yes. For what the eventual DVD will include, and be priced at, no.

But at least you can enjoy it now.

LennyP

Supporting Actor
That's a very good deal, I think I payed for mine, sealed also, about $55.
It's a great set, very good quality. Rest of post deleted by admin.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
I bought this when it originally came out, but I sure wish I had been able to get the DTS LD, but I got into DTS/DD-compatible hardware just as DTS was clearing out their LD inventory. I did get Speed, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and Speed, but unfortunately missed out on Toy Story and Schindler's List, though. They apparently rock!

Still, the LD is worth it for the book and limited edition CD.

greg_t

Screenwriter
That is a good deal, Jarrett. I wouldn't worry about the dvd. It was rumored to be coming out this year, but I think that we would have gotten a press release by now if it was coming out this year. So enjoy your laser. I just picked up the DTS LD and paid $76, which is actually pretty low for the DTS version. And yes, the DTS version is fantastic.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I bought this set new when it first was released but sold it this year. At the price I paid, which was well discounted, I felt it was the biggest LD box set ripoff ever. A lot of others felt the same way at that time. It contained the same available separately 2-disc LD set (which was priced at ~$45, with no disc supplements), a paperback book and the cd soundtrack in a nice box. Now, does that sound like it's worth $140 (or was it $150?).

But, at the $40 you paid, I'd say you paid a bit less that what it originally was worth, so I guess it's a good deal.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Agree with Alan. This was generally considered the worst box set ever. They just took the regular LD and put in in a box with the CD and a paperback and asked over $100 for it. It was a very poor seller because it sucked so bad.

But for $40 it's easily worth it. I have only ever seen the DTS Laser on my system and that is stunning. I'm sure the box set has the same great transfer.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I agree, when it was released, that set was not much of a boxed set. The book of on-set photographs, though, is wonderful (and is really the only part of the box aside from the box itself that was not available separately).

However, I traded my VHS copy of The Little Mermaid for one (Little Mermaid was on its first moratorium at the time), and felt that I had got my money's worth.

I had the separate discs before, and they are absolutely identical to what's in the box set. Good transfer, great PCM track.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Considering it was originally listed at around $140, yes. For what the eventual DVD will include, and be priced at, no. But at least you can enjoy it now.
I disagree...I can almost guarantee you, the DVD set will not include a novel and CD soundtrack and probably wont contain all the extras of the LD...so he paid $40 for something that will never exist again...thats a bargain in my book.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
...except the LD has no extras. At the time I figured that the book of photographs and the box itself were worth about $40, based on the separate prices of all the other available parts.

It's a nice set, and I don't think $40 was too much for it. But all that you get are the plain vanilla LD, the soundtrack CD (out of print by now, probably, and it has the film's poster art printed on the disc itself, which I don't believe that the regular release of the CD did), a paperback copy of the novel, and a paperback book of set photographs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks