What's new

Schindler's List (1993) (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Amazing box office success for this movie back on original release. I think Spielberg donated all of his proceeds to charity, specifically to found and fund the Shoah Foundation....

http://sfi.usc.edu/

Amazing that the movie itself was made for only $22m. It looks to me like at least double that up there on the screen, even accounting for 25 years of inflation.

Schindler's List
Domestic Total Gross: $96,065,768
Domestic Lifetime Gross: $96,616,768
Distributor: Universal Release Date: December 15, 1993
Genre: War Drama Runtime: 3 hrs. 14 min.
MPAA Rating: R Production Budget: $22 million
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $96,616,768 30.0%
+ Foreign: $225,240,537 70.0%
= Worldwide: $321,857,305
Adjusted for inflation, $321,000,000.00 in 1993 is equal to $557,675,856.24 in 2018.
Annual inflation over this period was 2.23%.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I kept peeking into the reserved seats for "Schindler's List" on my AMC app due to morbid curiosity, and for the 3 nearby AMC theaters around me, I didn't see more than 3 reserved seats/viewing sold all weekend long.

I decided not to go see it because it's just one of those movies that I don't want to see more than once, as once was enough decades ago, and to subject myself to another viewing just wasn't going to be in the cards for me at this point in time. I had thought it would also be the same for many others, and it appears to be the prevailing thought process for others as well.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
As I pointed out earlier, also the fact that it's on Netflix now, many people probably prefer to watch a movie this intense at home vs. paying $10+ to see in a theater.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Or more likely people had absolutely no idea this movie was coming to theaters. If I wasn't here I wouldn't have known.
Yep. Like every re-release, there was zero promotion. I guess there's some sense to that where they don't spend any money in promotion so that helps the bottom line but it doesn't exactly pack theaters either.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I have seen the trailer too many times to count over the last several months. I'm pretty sure that the first time I saw it was with Alpha (which came out in August).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have seen the trailer too many times to count over the last several months.

I had the opposite experience. Since Deadline broke news of the re-release back on August 29, I saw the poster hanging at my local theater, which did not end up booking the film, but I didn't see the trailer even once. I'm glad I didn't, because that allowed me to enter the film yesterday without having seen anything from it in advance at all. But I go to the movies almost every weekend, so the fact that I never saw the trailer is telling and surprising. Or, it could be that my local theater knew they weren't going to screen the movie and therefore elected not to put the trailer on anything, but if that was the case, why would they have displayed the poster?

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I had the opposite experience. Since Deadline broke news of the re-release back on August 29, I saw the poster hanging at my local theater, which did not end up booking the film, but I didn't see the trailer even once. I'm glad I didn't, because that allowed me to enter the film yesterday without having seen anything from it in advance at all. But I go to the movies almost every weekend, so the fact that I never saw the trailer is telling and surprising. Or, it could be that my local theater knew they weren't going to screen the movie and therefore elected not to put the trailer on anything, but if that was the case, why would they have displayed the poster?
Since it's playing in pretty much every AMC Dolby Cinema nationwide, that might be why I've seen it so much. They probably booked it for that empty weekend long ago and wanted to promote it heavily. Spielberg's intro was even slightly different than the one posted above. He said something to the effect of "Thank you for coming to see Schindler's List in Dolby Cinema."

That's very cool that you got to see it without ever seeing anything from it ahead of time. I'd love to experience it like that again!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since it's playing in pretty much every AMC Dolby Cinema nationwide, that might be why I've seen it so much. They probably booked it for that empty weekend long ago and wanted to promote it heavily.

That would also explain, maybe, why I haven't seen it. As I've mentioned in other threads, the only AMC here has disability seats exclusively in the back of all their regular auditoriums, so I don't go there anymore. Aside from that one, all of the chain theaters around here are either Century (which is owned by Cinemark) or Cinemark. So if AMC was particularly aggressive in promoting it, of course I missed that.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I haven't seen the trailer in any theater. I just got back and it looked fantastic with the exception of a slightly pink hue over the middle of the screen. That wasn't a huge issue though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
with the exception of a slightly pink hue over the middle of the screen.

That was not the case with my presentation. I have nothing to compare it to because, as I noted above, this was my first viewing. However, I thought it looked stunning.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
That was not the case with my presentation. I have nothing to compare it to because, as I noted above, this was my first viewing. However, I thought it looked stunning.
I was pretty sure it was the projector in my theater. I think it might be the problem described below which I found in a document listing differences between SONY projectors and DLP projectors. I'm pretty sure the cinema I saw this in uses the SONY.

"The SXRD panels are more prone to colour shading over time than DMD panels. Therefore, colour calibration will have to take place more frequently than with DMD based projectors. This is particularly visible when projecting black-and-white film, where colour shading is more visible. "

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The weekend actual number for the re-release was $566,760 for an average of $551 per theater. This is marginally better than the estimates I saw reported, but still pretty quiet.

My understanding is that it was always planned as a one-week re-release before the flood of new films beginning Friday and into next week. Certainly, this result does not supply any reason for Universal to rethink that plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks