SCH KOB50 vs Paradigm Atom quick comparison

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes Nance, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Wes Nance

Wes Nance Stunt Coordinator

Hi everybody-

Merry Christmas!

I've seen a couple of people ask how the SCH KOB50 bookshelf DIY kit compares to the Paradigm Atom. Since I own Atoms and recently built a pair of the KOB50's, I thought I would post a really quick comparison:

My listening room is about 14 x25 or so, with a hardwood floor. I'm running a basic Denon 90's vintage stereo receiver with a Sharp CD player.

The biggest difference between these two speakers is detail and extension. The Atoms have more extension, but sound pretty muddy compared to the SCH's. I'm guessing the Atoms are tuned to mid 40's or low 50's or something with the port. You get a nice extension for pop, etc., but it's hard to hear textures and hear instruments timbres clearly.

When I brought the SCH's up this morning from the basement home theater, I was a bit surprised how much lighter they were on the bass than the Atoms, but it shouldn't have been surprising. The SCH's are meant to be run with subs, as they roll off quickly below 65 hz or so, and that's how I run them down in my theater.

But the SCH's had sooo much more detail. My wife and I are classical musicians, and she noticed a huge difference in a recording of Biber sonatas with Baroque Violin and harpsichord. We heard much more of the bow draw on the strings, and the color of the harpsichord sound. I was pretty surprised how much more transparent the sound was, and it sounded more "real" to us, as she has lots of experience listening/playing these instruments in real halls, etc.

Anyway, just a quick non-technical comparison. The KOB50 is a much more accurate speaker, but if you need it to go low for your music, or HT, you'll need a sub.

Wes

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i love my k05b50s...i use them with a yamaha yst-sw105 sub that fills in down to 40hz.....probably gonna end up with a DLS 10" form partsexpress soon

anyone have any opinions on how i should hook up the DLS with the k05b50s? here are my options...analog output from computer to the receivers AUX input....then i can either hook up the sub off the preouts and leave it at that....or hook it up off the preouts and use the low level outs on the sub to go to the main ins on the receiver

3. Peter_A_M

Peter_A_M Stunt Coordinator

Wes,

Thanks for the review. I ordered a pair of the completed K05B50s as a Christmas gift for my father on the strength of reviews here and elsewhere, and, so far, it seems like I'll be satisfied with them. I'd be more than willing to pit them against the Axiom M3tis if there's any interest.

Jason,

I connect the "B" speaker outputs of my NAD integrated to the speaker-level inputs of the DLS 10 incher with decent results. Haven't tried the low-level inputs or outputs yet.

NP: The cold silence of no music playing

4. Wes Nance

Peter,

5. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i try to recommend the k05b50s whenever possible....boy do i like these speakers...

Peter, as of now i've got the yamaha sub hooked up off the preouts with the k05b50s getting a fullrange unfiltered signal...works well

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Wes,

I built these kits but modified the cabinets for lower extension. I made them roughly .2ft^3 and tuned to around 60Hz. They work very well even without a sub in smaller rooms. I haven't heard the Atoms so I can't comment as to whether the modified K05B50's would have similar extension or not.

7. Wes Nance

Brian,

Yep, I remembered that from before- I wonder why SCH didn't lower the tuning of the box a bit- more protection for the mid driver? I suppose it doesn't really matter for me, since they're the fronts in my home theater rig, and crossed over to a sub.

It would be nice for SCH to offer a lower tuning- I suppose you could just extend the depth of the box if you bought the kit with the pre-cut baffle.

I am going to build another pair of KOb50's for my surrounds in the spring. They will probably be wall mounted, so I'm wondering if I should just build them sealed, or keep the ports, since they'll be mounted very close to the wall. What do you think- do you have any product you use for wall mounting in your installs?

Thanks,

Wes

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Wes,

I spoke with Ken at SCH, who designed the kits, and asked why he went with that design. He said the shallower cabinet was used so that wall mounting wouldn't be a big issue. I don't feel wall mounting is a big issue as long as you can get the port an inch or so off the wall. Most people will have them angled left or right and probably tilted slightly forward so there's more breathing room for the port.

I asked if he felt that there would be anything negative about tuning lower before I tried it. He said the driver would work fine that way. Ronnie Ferrell heard mine at the DIY Atlanta event and from what I remember he was pretty impressed at the bass output, as well as the overall sound for the money. They don't compete with the A/V-1's or A/V-1+'s at all, but then for a less than $100 kit you wouldn't expect them to.

9. Wes Nance

Thanks, Brian, that's good information. I'll build the surrounds ported like the fronts then.

What would you suggest for wall mounting as far as hardware goes?

Wes

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

My dad bought some little brackets that have a "shelf" that the cabinet sits on. They swivel back and forth and tilt slightly. They should work fine and you won't have to drill into your cabinets. They're from Parts Express. I don't remember the part# but they should be easy enough to find.

11. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

It's gratifying to see the acceptance of these speakers after I've been recommending SCH as the best value in DIY hi-fi for over three years now. Be sure to check the load capacity of the wall brackets you are considering. Check Parts Express, MCM, etc for brackets and prices.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Hank,
    I noticed that the "acceptance factor" went up after I started recommending them also. I think having a second person recommend them as well helped a lot. Not that anyone should question your credibility. It just helps that you're not the lone voice in the forest anymore. [​IMG]
    BTW, thank you very much for the Christmas card! IIRC, Kay said "That Hank is a cool dude!" Yesterday was Kay's Birthday also!

13. Wes Nance

Hank,

I bought my SCH pretty much on your recommendation/referral, and then being impressed by the designs on the site. Also, I had been considering AV-1's for the project, but when I decided to shrink my budget for the home theater system, it helped that you and Brian were both associated somewhat with Danny at GR research, whose speakers were well regarded on a number of forums.

I figured that if you both were recommending AV-1's and they were clearly a good product, that it was probably a good bet that your other recommendation of SCH would be reliable also.

Plus, I wanted to build a center that wasn't a normal MTM, and SCH fit the bill.

Thanks-

Wes

14. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Brian/shadow, hope you had a good Christmas! Get any DVD's or perhaps power tools? Say hi to Kay for me. I'm at work today, but taking off again tomorrow.

Wes, glad you like 'em! For the record, Brian and I don't get referral fees from SCH, so I feel like people can take our recommendations as objective. I've got some buds here in Austin starting up a speaker company and they've got their first two designs finished. They spent hundreds of hours testing drivers and designing the all-important crossovers, and I think their speakers sound really good. AFAIK, they won't offer DIY kits.