Scenes cut from 24 DVD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Kikin, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I just saw this article over at Ain't It Cool News about scenes that were cut from the UK DVD. I know you can't really trust AICN but if this is true, I really hope it doesn't happen here in the U.S. too.
    Edit: Thanks for the title fix Dan.

2. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I don't really buy R2, but from what I can gather, it's definately true that the R2 24 DVD was edited in some way, but the VHS tapes are fine.

I'm still debating over a purchase of the first season. Be nice to know the score on the US edits. If all is well, I may get the R1 yet...

Dan

PS: Fixed the title for you.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Allegedly, the DVDs are the US broadcast version, whilst the UK VHS are of the UK broadcast version - allegedly slightly longer than US broadcast version due to extra "padding" provided to fit the UK timeslot.

4. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

From the discussions over at the Roobarb DVD forum (http://disc.server.com/Indices/148536.html ), it appears that FOX may be already recalling the R2 disks due to the edits. Play.com has informed their customers about it through emails. AFAIK, FOX Television here in the states decided to edit out 1-1.5 minutes out of the last few episodes to cram in more commercials. BBC2 was given the unedited versions and aired them in the UK.
    Hopefully the Region 1 disks will have the full length episodes down the stretch.

5. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

i dont think the US DVDs will be the same as the UK cut unless Fox make a mistake again.

the US cuts are correct version AFAIK, as BrianB says, extra scenes are just for padding.

whether it makes it better or not, i dont know.

but imy pretty sure the US cut are the 'proper' cuts.

6. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

Fox have now announced in the UK that they will exchange disks 5 & 6 (the last two) so we can get the version as shown on the BBC. This will take 5 - 6 weeks whilst they produce them.

The problem was Fox in the UK used the US master for the DVD so it is likely the US R1 will have the shorter version.
    Does anyone which is the correct length, on UK Forums there are comments saying the UK is the real version and US was cut to maximise ad time in the 1 hour time slot, to increase revenue when it approached the end of the series and they hoped for high audience numbers ?

7. Richard Michael Clark

Richard Michael Clark Second Unit

R1 will be the same version as broadcast on US TV.

The R2 DVD was made from the US master (including the 'before' and 'after' commerical break "big clock" - the UK broadcast only had the 'after' clock, due to the lack of commericals)

Fox are re-issuing the last 2 discs in the R2 set because the snipped scenes are actually quite vital & UK viewers immediately noticed their omission! (My guess is that Fox UK were hoping that no-one would notice!)

There is a particular scene in episode 23 that makes the meaning of the final moments of episode 24 even more powerful and you are really missing something without it!

8. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

See here for full details - WARNING SPOILERS GALORE

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

This bites the royal hiney.

I was going to buy the box set (I'm in the US), but now that I'm aware the UK version has slightly longer episodes, I am upset and probably wont buy the "short versions" being offered here in the US.

Seems like the US department has seriously blown it. They could offered the longer episodes and everyone would be happy. I've read the spoilers and it is no understatement that the missing moments from the end have a MAJOR impact on the unfolding of the story.

Is there still time for the US discs to be corrected?

10. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

I hope there's time too, but it's probably too late already. Maybe we should start a thread in the Feedback section for this. Even though they never aired here in the U.S. to begin with, I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of extra weeks to get the uncut versions, especially if they could have a major impact on the story.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

In the UK their quick fix is to replace disc 5 and 6, and presumably later they'll get to the rest.
    Perhaps in the US they can at the least fix disc 5 and 6.
    Here's the BBC News on the blunder, but note that the articicle incorrectly says "90 seconds are missing" when they really mean "90 seconds per episode are missing".
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...io/2212494.stm

12. stephen^wilson

stephen^wilson Stunt Coordinator

That was lucky.I almost bought the set today.I think i'll hold off buying it for while.

13. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Stunt Coordinator

14. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

Hmm -- and I'm scpetical they will replace this for folks who live outside R2.