1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Scdc222es Incoming -is This Good For Me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Joy, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

i CAN GET THE 222ES FOR $350.00 TO MY DOOR. i HAVE DA5ES, TOSH SD2700, MIRAGE FRX-7 SPEAKERS, SVS 25-31PCI SUB. I AM DISAPPOINTED WITH TOSH CD PLAYBACK AND WANT TO STEP UP TO HIGH REZ. I LIKE HOW SONY WORKS WITH EACH OTHER AND THE 5YR WARRANTY. CAN I DO BETTER OR SHOULD I PULL TRIGGER, ONLY A FEW LEFT. MY LOCAL DEALER WANTS 500.OO FOR OPEN BOX(YEAH RIGHT).
    THANKS

2. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Go for it!

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

OK, I did it! $335.00 to my door courtesy of J and R. I was inclined to use Oades but that 15% restocking fee was hanging over my head just in case thinks don't work out. Thanks to all who contributed in all search-able threads(what an awesome way to research product). I have a few connection questions though;
    The 222 has 2 channel and multichannel analog output and my DA5ES has two 5.1 multichannel inputs, as well as a 2 channel analog cd/sacd input. I assume to connect the 5.1 output on the 222 to the 5.1 input on DA5ES. Should I also make a digital connection for cd playback or will the 5.1 be OK with analog 2 channel. Further is it necessary to make 2 channel connection to DA5ES cd/sacd analog input? For these connections do I use simple rca connectors or something different. I have and will continue to keep Tosh optical connection for DVD playback(can't stand cd playback on tosh).

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Compare the 2 and decide with your ears.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, you made an excellent purchase, and I am quite convinced that the 'C222ES will outperform the Toshiba DVD player with CDs when using the analog outputs on both.

Regarding connections, you will obviously have to use the 5.1-channel outputs on the 'C222ES for playback of multi-channel SACDs. You can also use the 5.1-channel outputs for playback of stereo SACDs and CDs (i.e., using the front left and right channel jacks of the 5.1-channel outputs). Alternatively, you can use the stereo analog outputs on the 'C222ES for playback of stereo SACDs and CDs. It might be worth comparing the stereo analog outputs and the 5.1-channel outputs with stereo SACDs and CDs in case there is a difference in the quality of the analog output stages. Note, however, that you can apply bass management to stereo SACDs via the 5.1-channel outputs. Bass management cannot be applied to stereo SACDs when you use the stereo analog outputs. Also, bass management cannot be applied to CD playback regardless of the outputs you use. Remember that if you try the stereo analog outputs, engage the analog bypass mode on the 'DA5ES.

For the stereo analog outputs and 5.1-channel outputs, use standard RCA cables. You can also try the optical and coaxial digital outputs for playback of CDs. Compare all your output options for CDs and stereo SACDs and see which connections work best. It could be as simple as using the 5.1-channel outputs for everything or as complicated as using the 5.1-channel outputs for multi-channel SACD, the stereo analog outputs for stereo SACD, and a digital output for CD.

6. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Keith, thanks alot. I will connect 2 channel analog, 5.1 channel analog and digital coax just to have all bases covered(I really don't want to keep moving my 5 ton receiver any more than I have to and that all of the hookup possibilities are making me love my DA5ES even more. Ugh, the wait for my new toy! Hello Stevie Ray Vaughn SACD!
    Thanks for your response and I don't know what happened to that P.M., it doesn't show on my sent list[​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dan, no problem. Once you play around with the connection options, do let us know what you settle on. By the way, Stevie Ray Vaughan Couldn't Stand the Weather is outstanding on SACD.
    You said:

8. Jerry Hostler

Jerry Hostler Stunt Coordinator

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, do let us know how you like the 'C555ES. What have been using for CDs to this point? Is the 'C555ES your first SACD player?

10. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Jerry, Oh that 555ES was so tempting! Both local dealers are big fans of the 555ES>222ES. I can't wait to hook it up and give it a listen and will give my impressions after some listening.
    I would also be interested to hear your impressions of SACD vs DVDA(No request for opener for can of worms[​IMG] )when you have that set up.

11. Jerry Hostler

Not my first. I've had the '9000ES since a couple months after it came out. I've loved it as a transport, a cd/sacd player, and as a DVD player. Except for that chroma bug[​IMG] I don't want to limit my high resolution listening to SACD, so I've been researching and reading threads on DVD-A players. I am 99% sure I'll be getting the Kenwood 5700 in the near future. That will give me the chroma bug free player, carousel convenience, and a pretty good DVD-A player from what I've read. With that purchase coming up, and with the great reviews/opinions of the '555ES, oh, and the apparent end of production, I thought I would pick one up before it's too late. I'll also be selling my 9000ES, so if anyone is interested, it will be in the hardware for sale area soon[​IMG]
    I only got the '555ES yesterday so have not listened extensively yet. I listened briefly to the two SACD's that came with it, Sacred Feast and a Mozart disc (I don't know anything about this music). I will have to listen to familiar recordings today before I can form a definite opinion. So far I can tell you it sounds great, but I'm not sure if it is better than the 9k. Even if the sound quality ends up being exactly the same, I will be thrilled. I own 19 SACD's now, btw.
    One thing I noticed right away that I don't care for is the clunky sounding drawer when it is opening/closing. I love the silky smooth drawer on the 9k. I had a cd carousel years ago and I remember it being loud, but I figured this Sony ES product would be quieter. Is this normal for the '555ES, or do I have a bad one? No other complaints so far.
    Dan, I would still like to hear your thoughts if you connect your Sony receiver to the SACD player. Thanks.
    Jerry
    My current (temporary) setup:
    Parasound AVC-2500U
    Marantz MA-700 (2)
    Sony SCD-C555ES SACD
    Paradigm Studio 40's (2)
    Def Tech PF15TL powered sub
    Bettercables interconnects
    I'm in a temporary living situation and only have this setup as 2 channel. I have a speaker level connection through the sub to the Paradigms for full bandwith playback. Sounds sweet[​IMG]

12. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Dan,

I ordered the unit a day beofre you did, I hope it rocks. I also sent you and e-mail.

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"So far I can tell you it sounds great, but I'm not sure if it is better than the 9k. Even if the sound quality ends up being exactly the same, I will be thrilled."
    Keep listening Dan [​IMG] It will become more apparent, i'm sure. I've got both pieces. The triple 5 is definately a better CD player IMO.

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, you will be set if you get the Kenwood Sovereign '5700. As for the 'C555ES, the carousel is a bit loud when it is opening, closing, and rotating. In particular, the carousel makes a couple clunk sounds when the unit powers up. I have two 'C555ES changers, and they make similar noises. It is normal, and it doesn't bother me.

15. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Juan, Check your PM.

16. Jerry Hostler

Thanks Keith. I wish the drawer was quieter, but I'm glad to hear it is not defective.

Dan, have you hooked up your '222ES to your DA5ES yet? Impressions?

Jerry

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, no problem.