What's new

SCD-ES555 or DVP-NS755 for SACD/CD (1 Viewer)

Patrick Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to get into SACD, but am undecided which player to get. Currently I'm using a prog. scan Toshiba 6200 for DVD/CD. I'm thinking of either selling it and getting the new Sony prog. scan NS755, or keeping the Toshiba for DVD use and getting the 5 disc Sony ES555 for SACD/CD.

I know Sony has a DVD player now that plays SACD (but it's not prog. scan), has anyone compared this to the Sony ES555 for CD/SACD playback? Does anyone think the new NS775 will be in the same ballpark for CD/SACD playback as the ES555?

Thanks,

Patrick

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Patrick, the Sony DVP-NS500V interlaced, single-disc DVD/SACD player is currently available for around $200. It is very good in all respects for the money, but is not in the same leage as the SCD-C555ES. Other than the addition of progressive-scan output, I am not sure what Sony is doing in moving from the 'NS500V to the 'NS755V. I seriously doubt the 'NS755V will rival the 'C555ES with CDs or SACDs. The 'C555ES is an excellent component in all respects. That said, the 'NS755V could very well provide you better picture quality than your Toshiba DVD player simply because your player is an early progressive-scan model.

If, in the end, both improved audio and video are equally important to you, I might make another suggestion. Now, it will cost you a bit more money, but consider this one. Get the 'C555ES for $550-600 from Oade Bros. (1-229-228-0093 or 1-229-228-4480), OneCall (1-800-340-4770), or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), all of which are authorized Sony dealers. That will cover you for CD and SACD playback. Then get the Panasonic DVD-RP82 progressive-scan DVD-Audio player, which should be out soon for under $300. Panasonic's progressive-scan players of late have gotten high marks, as they don't show the chroma bug. With the 'RP82, you should get first-rate picture quality for the money -- probably comparable to the 'NS755V, if not better -- plus DVD-Audio.

Patrick Williams

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Keith

Oade bros. is where i was thinking of ordering the 555ES from. For right now, because I'm already spending a ton of $$$ upgrading my pre/pro, amp, and rack (now CD/SACD player also), I think I'll stick with my Toshiba 6200. Unless I went with the Pioneer 47A, I'll pass on DVD-A for now, I don't really want to mess around with switches, etc. to be able to play both formats. I figure it this way - top notch 5 disc CD changers are hard to find now (most are built like junk) - so even if SACD fails, I'll still have a really good CD changer. I was just trying to get by "on the cheap" and hope the 755 was just as good....

I was looking at the 222ES, but Oade Bros is sold out.....is there much of a difference performance wise between the 222 and the 555?

Thanks,

Patrick

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Patrick,

OADE themselves replied to me in an e-mail and stated that the differences sonically were 'subtle.' The 555 has a better power supply, better build quality, and is slightly better for redbook playback, this considering of course, that you don't use the DAC in you receiver instead. Overall, the 555es is better, but how much is up to you to decide. I bought my 222es - no slouch itself - at Oade a mere two weeks ago for 325.00 shipped. At this price, I am not surprised that they are sold out, considering a few people on this forum spent twice this much only a few months ago for one. You can then spend another 225.00 and get the Panasonic RP-82 DVD-A player and have DVD-A/SACD for a mere 550.00 - or slightly less than one 555es. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks