SCD-CE775 for $249.00 Good or Bad

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oakley, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Oakley

Oakley Auditioning

Everyone,
    I need some thoughts on this. I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new scd-ce775 for 249. Because of where I am located I do not have access to all the big stores. All I have is my Military exchange and whatever they have to offer. Anyway I was reading one thread that said if you could find this player for about 125.00 then buy it. I assume that person was talking about used ones. My exchange is getting these in this week and will be selling them for the above price. BUY IT or NOT? Thanks for any replies.

2. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Oakley,

My first instinct is to say, "Buy it." But it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to try SACD for very little money, the 775 is a no-brainer. Even at $249, the player is less than half it's original MSRP (pre-closeout pricing).

Is having a carousel player important to you? If it is, the 775 becomes a very attractive option, as it has been discontinued and the only way you can get it is to buy used--which you can probably do for around $125-$180. The thing to know about this player is that while SACD does yield enough of a sonic improvement on well-recorded discs, its redbook performance is pretty crude. If you don't care about SACD or having a carousel, then I'd say you could do better for the money if you buy used. Without spending more money to modify the 775, the redbook performance of the player can be easily bettered by a number of used NAD players (521/i and 541/i) or the Cambridge D500SE.

That said, the 775 does improve to a great degree after modification. The mods will cost an additional $400 or so, plus shipping. I had my 775 done over a year ago and have been very happy with the results. I think for a total cost of $700 or a little under, you'd be hard-pressed to find a player that offers SACD, solid redbook and 5-disc carousel in the same price ballpark. Make no mistake, the modified 775 is not going to challenge most players in the $1500 price range, but for it is still tremendous bang for the buck.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

3. Oakley

Oakley Auditioning

Eujin,
    The carousel is more important than the SACD. With that said I really don't want to spend 700.00 for the player and upgrades. Are there any comparable players for around 3-400$$. I have heard about the Sony 222es. I will probably only play regular cd's. Any other advice would be great. I would be worried about the performance of the 775 with regular cds.

Thanks again[​IMG]

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Oakley,

If you are only interested in playing CDs, then the Sony 222ES would be a better option. Sony's ES line offers better redbook CD performance than their lower-end line of players. I upgraded from a low-end Sony carousel player to a new 555ES, and the improvement in CD playback was significant in my system.

The 222ES can be found in the U.S. in the price range you mentioned. However, if the price you can get the CE775 for is any indication, you may have trouble finding a 222ES for less than $400 in your location. The CE775 has been selling for under $200 in the U.S. lately.

5. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor