What's new

SCD-CE595 SACD/CD Questions (1 Viewer)

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Hey gang,

I recently noticed this player in BestBuy for $140 and have been trying to find more info on it, my vintage Marantz CD40 (no remote) is still sounding great, but isn't convinient and has no SACD capability..which I am quite interested in, and is not a changer like this Sony.

Has anyone tried this player? For the price it seems like a very good buy, I'm hoping that being cd only (no DVD) the performance is a bit better on CD and SACD than the ~$150 universals.

I have two main areas of concern. First, how is the performance with standard CD material. I'd hate to know I'm going to lose a lot of standard CD quality. I much perfer the DAC of my Marantz than my receiver. Second, how is bass management handled in the CD595? For that matter, is it really handled at all?

Just thought I'd ask...I'm likely going to pick it up tomorrow after work unless I hear any compelling arguments.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I picked one up at Best Buy, but I have not tried SACD's yet...don't even own one. I can't compare CD sound quality with your Marantz, but after hooking the 595 up to my receiver with a 400 series analog Monster interconnect I'm happy with the sound. I was playing CD's on my old DVD player using my receiver's DAC and the Sony sounds much better.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm seriously considering one of these as an interim player for the 2-channel room I'm working on. I've been dinking around with it at work, and it's quite a nice unit for the money.

Odd, no matter how often I make fun of Sony, I still end up buying their stuff. Most recently, my camera and my Clie, and now a CD player? What's wrong with me?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I am currently audtioning one and am pretty impressed with it. The SACD and Redbook are excellent, better than my previous Denon 2200. I am pretty frickin picky when it comes to my music and I could easily live with this unit for a long time. I doubt the C2000ES will sound much better than the 595 the specs are virtually identical , even the button layout on the face is the same.

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I picked one up earlier today and I must say...this unit does not sound/feel like a $140 unit...it performs WELL above its price. This is a well built and great sounding unit. The SACD sounds incredible and the redbook playback is WAY better than I anticipated for the price. A definite keeper. :)

ShaunLB

Stunt Coordinator
It compares quite well. Other than the excellent overall tonal balance and clarity (which the Sony also does a great job of), the main quality I loved about my Marantz was its detail in the lower frequencies. I have not found any reason to beleive the Sony is any less capable in this area, the lower midrange and the bass frequencies are full and detailed.

I feel that the CE595's CD sound quality could justify its $140 pricetag even if it didn't have SACD capabilities. Its a well-made changer that performs great. Throw in excellent SACD playback and its a heck of a deal. Just my thoughts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks