What's new

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (2019)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Title: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Genre: Horror, Fantasy

Director: André Øvredal

Cast: Zoe Colletti, Michael Garza, Austin Abrams, Gabriel Rush, Austin Zajur, Natalie Ganzhorn, Javier Botet, Mark Steger

Release: 2019-08-08

Runtime: 111

Plot: A group of outcast kids stands up to their fears to save their town when nightmares come to life.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you were a kid in the eighties or early nineties, then Stephen Gammell's illustrations for Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, and Scary Stories 3: More Tales to Chill Your Bones were probably the most terrifying things in your elementary school.

Now they've made a movie combining the highlights. While the live action versions aren't as scary as the illustrations, they're much closer than I'd have expected for a movie targeted toward children.

Last trailer ("Season of the Witch"):

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This reminded me of a 1980s horror movie: the creature designs, the complete production design buy in of the setting, the way the actors read their lines, everything.

It does take far too long for the story to get to the scary parts, which is what the audience has come to see. I understand setting up the world and the characters, but yeesh. For me, the film itself runs 10 minutes too long and I think the issue is the beginning. Otherwise, it moves at a pretty decent clip without dwaddling or being gruesome.

I did cringe at one element of the story; it wasn't for anything we see. Rather, it's for what we hear.

Two of the protagonists find a wax cylinder in a mental hospital and listen to a women undergoing electroshock therapy. Hearing the screams and knowing this was a common practice-and still may be in some places-is the scariest part of the film.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Cinemascore grade was "C", so audiences didn't seem to care for it much on opening weekend.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks