Scary part of Google

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert McLay, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Robert McLay

Robert McLay Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    For those of you who don't know - google can be used to look up your address and map it straight to your house if they only have your phone number (i.e. 734-555-1212). I was alerted to this from work, and it seems to not happen if you have an unlisted phone number, but not always. I punched in my fathers phone number and it popped right up with an option to mapquest it.

Now I know I just read a thread where someone had their entire DVD collection stolen, and it is scary to think that something like this could assist someone in doing this.

If you name and address pop up through the google search, if you hit the telephone icon next to the name it will give you instructions on how to take yourself off of their database.

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    An idea put together with the most humble, honest reasons, that can be used by criminals. It would be very helpful, for a lot of people... but it had to be exploited.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I like the thread title. And we complain every day about about the scare tactics used by the media.

--
    H

4. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Robert, there are also websites that will convert a street adress to a GPS coordinate so a killer satellite could be used [​IMG]

5. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

This information has been availalbe from the phone company for a VERY long time.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Do you need Google? The phone companies lists work to that effect too, don't they?

Cees

Later: Sorry, Andy. Parallel thinking - and posting. [​IMG]
    C.

7. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I'm thinking this is not really anything new. Anywho's reverse number lookup has been doing this for many years.

Common sense would dictate that one shouldn't get on a publically accessable forum and make details as to their area of residence, what they own (nice HT systems, audio systems, DVD collections, etc). When you do have something with a lot of value, isn't it best that as few people as possible know it.

8. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    True - exercise some care. But then again, most of those thieves aren't exactly the sort of people who frequent this sort of forums. At least, that's what I think.

Cees

9. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

10. Scott L

Scott L Producer

11. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

If you're terribly concerned about this post no information that could lead to you anywhere on the internet. I imagine, however, that if you were to do some kind of statistics on how many times this particular thing has aided in someone's being burgled, that you would come out with something around 0.

12. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I have just updated my files on all of you, BWAHAHA!

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

good thing I bought that robot insurance!

14. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

So, we have nothing to fear but fear itself [​IMG]

15. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know why google implemented that feature where people's phone numbers can be used to lookup a person's address? It seems like they should just remove that feature to prevent stalkers from using it to terrorist people.

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I hope they've stopped but at one time phone "information" would give you addresses on request. Up until about 3 years ago the U.S. Postal Service, for a small fee, would trace people for you through their forwarding orders. They stopped when they noticed the best customers were violent spouses and the Mob.
    Years ago I lived in a small town in Northern Indiana where the COC puplished a little paperback called "Know Your Neighbor." It contained all the local license plate numbers cross referanced with addresses and phone numbers. Can you see a small problem with this?

17. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    when I input my phone number I get someone elses address and name....that's fine with me...but I wonder why? Not that I'm complaining...

18. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

19. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

eh, that's nothing compared to what you can do with the full version of Lexis-Nexis.

20. Robert McLay

Robert McLay Stunt Coordinator

Robert
    Yeah I forgot that there were other sites around to do reverse look up. I just thought it very peculiar that google did this, plus it was spread through our work e-mail system, so I think when I posted I still had some of the fears of the darn IT people [​IMG]

And I wasn't trying to state that thieves are all around us and that everyone who visits here will rob you, I was just stating how easy it really seems. Alot of the nurses I work with were very concerned with this development, because so many patients know your name that with just one call to the phone company with their name could lead to a google search on them. Plus, I guess we forgot that you could just ask the phone company for an address also now, but I think the added map is kinda wierd.

Sorry everyone for the scare :b

Rob