Scary Movie DVD Problems?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by barry, Aug 29, 2001.

1. barry

barry Agent

Has anyone heard of any problems with this DVD. I have tried it on two different players and had Menu problems on both.
    Thanks...

2. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

There was an issue with this and other BVHV DVDs back late last year, early this year. Scary Movie, Coyote Ugly, The Kid, Gone in 60 Seconds, and Dinosaur all had issues with some players. Most common problem was the FBI warning would play forever, other times the menus would take forever and a day to change, other times the discs would randomly skip ten chapters on players. It was a pretty messy ordeal for many, especially having to explain it to customers at retail chains as to why none of the copies of those movies would work. It was in how they were authored.
    Do a search...there may be a thread about this.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Jeff(R)

Jeff(R) Second Unit

I just watched it using a Sony. No viewing or menu problems.

4. Sean Moon

Samsung players were the big issue ones with Scary Movie and all...Toshibas and G.E players too.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Sean Moon

6. Sean Moon

Did a search on the digitalbits, here is the text of it.
    We're going to be back later this evening with a special feature story Todd's been working on, but I wanted to check in with this quickly first. We've received an official statement from Buena Vista Home Entertainment regarding the problems with their Dinosaur, Scary Movie and The Kid DVDs, so here it is:
    "Buena Vista Home Entertainment is aware of and very concerned about the DVD hardware/software incompatibility issues that the home entertainment industry currently is experiencing. Like other studios, we have been working diligently to minimize such problems and will continue aggressively to eliminate these problems in the future. We believe any solution ultimately will require a partnership between hardware and software manufacturers. In the meantime, we will ensure that all of our consumers are 100% satisfied with any product that is affected by these issues. The Walt Disney Company is committed to its customers and fans to deliver a quality of excellence across all formats that is synonymous with its name."
    Statement issued by Robert Chapek
    President of Buena Vista Home Entertainment
    I think you can assume that the problems people have been having with these discs have to do with players not conforming to the DVD spec 100%, particularly in more complicated authoring situations. And I think you can further assume that if you have any problems with a disc, Buena Vista's Customer Relations Hotline (1-800-723-4763) will do everything possible to exchange it for a working disc.
    and here is an earlier one
    Now then... we've had a LOT of people ask us what the problem is with Disney's Dinosaur (both the single and 2-disc versions), Scary Movie and The Kid. Apparently, there's some kind of authoring error that results in buggy disc performance on certain models of DVD player. For example, on my Sony 7700, the 2-disc version Dinosaur glitches and pauses of its own accord when you reach the layer switch point while watching the movie disc. Some with Panasonic and RCA players are having the same problem. Other people have difficulty accessing various menu features of the discs using Pioneer players. Not everyone is having problems, but many people are. If you are among them, you can call Buena Vista's Customer Relations Phone Number: 1-800-723-4763. The studio is aware of the problem, and I've been told that they are re-authoring the discs. A recall may be initiated, but no date has been determined, pending completion of the new discs. The studio can arrange to make exchanges for your defective copies. Or you can simply return the discs where you purchased them and await the re-authored product. And if you're NOT having any problems, don't worry about it.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]