What's new

Scary Movie 4 - quick review (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This film will pretty much appeal to fans of the previous installments of the Scary Movie franchise. Pour in parody bits from recent films, tie them somehow together, exaggerate the disturbing scenes, undercut them for comedic effect, and you get yet another Scary Movie. There were a few scenes that did bring the funny, and cobbling all the pieces together in a coherent storyline was somewhat achieved, and most of the actors were game to do the parody, the stretching of the idiosyncrasies of many of the original acting performances for spoof's sake.

The film borrows a lot of material from the following films:

Saw
The Grudge
The War of the Worlds (2005)
Million Dollar Baby
The Village
(no idea where the UN scene came from)

In fact, do not see this film unless you have seen the films parodied or are planning on seeing the films being parodied.

It might make for a decent matinee viewing if you enjoy this genre.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I didn't care for the other films, but I gotta tell ya, I freakin' DIE just seeing clips of Craig Bierko doing Tom Cruise on Oprah! :laugh:

I'll see it for that alone lol.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think Zucker has given this franchise just the kick in the ass it needed with 3 and 4. His un-PC humor allows him to remain relevant even with today's fickle youth culture.

"What's the difference between a Belgian and a pile of dog shit?"

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Overall I felt 3 was much more consistant and the best of the series. This was OK with a few really hillarious sequences like the Million Dollar Baby parody
. Worth a watch but I won't buy it or anything.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Considering Charlie Sheen's "Charlie Harper" character on "Two and A Half Men", his subplot and resolution was pretty damn funny.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I'll stick with a c- for this mess, I actually thought "Date Movie" was a funnier flick, and SM 3 was the best of the bunch.

OH, Anna still looks great:)

B

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
outside of saw, most of the references I see in the previews dont appear to be spoofing scary movies anymore. i really dont know if i should waste my time with this.

Erick.S

Auditioning
I thought it was hilarious. Real fun. And I guess it was because I knew what films were being parodied. And that makes it better. I can't wait for the dvd to be released on the 15th of August. It's just under a couple of months away now.
I might be alone on this one, but I'd be down to watch a 5th one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks