Scary Movie 4 Greenlit Today...

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, May 25, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Part 3 comes out in October and now Dimension is going to go ahead for a fourth entry. (Guess they had a LOT of footage left over!) [​IMG]

In a Matrix-y move, the goal is to have Part 4 out within six months of Part 3. Apparently the third sequel will poke fun at the comic-book flicks we're all currently enjoying.

Oh joy.

More info here.

2. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    My guess is that Part 4 will be a straight to video thing....I'm pretty surprised that Part 3 will even be getting a theatrical release at this point! Truly truly creepy...[​IMG]

-Dennis

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Well, I think both of these will be at the theater...

The first 2 did very well at the box office... 100 million and 70 million or something close to that...

But, shouldnt they wait to see how part 3 does before they greenlight part 4????

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    With David Zucker at the helm, I have a feeling Scary Movie 3 will be ALOT better.

5. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

So if they're spoofing comic book flicks now, why call it "Scary Movie"?

6. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Am I the only one who remembers the original Scary Movie's tagline that went something like "Blah-blah... No sequel"? Hmm.

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

It must mean they think they have a hit on their hands. I mean, Scary Movie 2 didn't do half as well as the original, right?

8. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

If memory serves SM2 didnt make a lot...like $55mil or something...VS. the originals $145mil...this is ridiculous...we can have 4 SM's...but yet they cant get a Batman or Superman movie started... [​IMG]

9. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I really liked the first one. The second one sucked, IMHO!

10. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Scary Movie $157M
    Scary Movie 2 $71M

They should parody all those awful creature flicks that have been going direct to video lately, like Shark Attack 1-2-3, Octopus 2 (was there even an Octopus 1?), Crocodile 1-2, Sabretooth, Sasquatch, Fangs, Python 1-2, etc.

Not sure why they're retaining the SM moniker if they're parodying the comic book movies, but perhaps the SM name will get a few million extra at the box office.

12. Tom Casanova

Tom Casanova Auditioning

Scary Movie was okay, but Scary Movie 2 was quite possibly one of the worst movies of ALL time. I think they should have quit while they were ahead.

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Agreed, SM2 was absolute crap -- I'm ashamed to admit I actually bought the DVD sight-unseen, and have been considering flogging it off ever since.

But just look at the numbers, $71mil is not small change, considering its budget was probably in the $30mil range or less. And that's just US box office, even if international business was a modest 50% of US, that's another $35mil. So about $100mil on a $30mil investment, good business methinks. And add video/DVD sales?

If SM4 parodies the comic-books, then we're getting into the realm of self-parody as well, they retain the SM name both as a "brand" (making it easier -- and cheaper -- to market) and also take the piss out of themselves by making a movie unrelated to the genre it was originally spoofing.

Whatever makes money, eh?

14. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

15. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

While I did like the first SCARY MOVIE (Part 2 is indeed crap), I have to say STUDENT BODIES is easily the greatest horror spoof ever filmed. Absolutely hilarious and underrated gem, and possibly my favorite spoof, period.

16. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I think what made Scary Movie so good was that while being a spoof, it had a pretty solid plot that was reminiscent of the SCREAM series, while incorporating bits and gags from many other 'horror' flicks. And it was well done. SM2 was just a bunch of barf gags thrown together, in comparison to SM1.

18. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Ahh, a Student Bodies reference. I thought I was the only one who remembered that one.[​IMG]

19. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i went to the first one pretty much kicking and screaming. i had zero desire to see it. i must admit i laughed quite a bit - good movie overall.

never saw the second one...no desire to.

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Hey where were all you guys when I posted a missive to Paramount virtually begging for a Student Bodies DVD? [​IMG]

I'd buy one!!!