What's new

Scary Movie 4 Greenlit Today... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Part 3 comes out in October and now Dimension is going to go ahead for a fourth entry. (Guess they had a LOT of footage left over!) ;)

In a Matrix-y move, the goal is to have Part 4 out within six months of Part 3. Apparently the third sequel will poke fun at the comic-book flicks we're all currently enjoying.

Oh joy.

More info here.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
My guess is that Part 4 will be a straight to video thing....I'm pretty surprised that Part 3 will even be getting a theatrical release at this point! Truly truly creepy...:)

-Dennis

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, I think both of these will be at the theater...

The first 2 did very well at the box office... 100 million and 70 million or something close to that...

But, shouldnt they wait to see how part 3 does before they greenlight part 4????

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
With David Zucker at the helm, I have a feeling Scary Movie 3 will be ALOT better.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
So if they're spoofing comic book flicks now, why call it "Scary Movie"?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who remembers the original Scary Movie's tagline that went something like "Blah-blah... No sequel"? Hmm.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
It must mean they think they have a hit on their hands. I mean, Scary Movie 2 didn't do half as well as the original, right?

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
If memory serves SM2 didnt make a lot...like $55mil or something...VS. the originals $145mil...this is ridiculous...we can have 4 SM's...but yet they cant get a Batman or Superman movie started... :angry:

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
this is ridiculous...we can have 4 SM's...but yet they cant get a Batman or Superman movie started...
Hey, if you can get a Batman or Superman movie not just started, but finished for the production budget of SCARY MOVIE 2, then Warner Bros. would bow down before you.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Scary Movie $157M
Scary Movie 2 $71M

They should parody all those awful creature flicks that have been going direct to video lately, like Shark Attack 1-2-3, Octopus 2 (was there even an Octopus 1?), Crocodile 1-2, Sabretooth, Sasquatch, Fangs, Python 1-2, etc.

Not sure why they're retaining the SM moniker if they're parodying the comic book movies, but perhaps the SM name will get a few million extra at the box office.

Tom Casanova

Auditioning
Scary Movie was okay, but Scary Movie 2 was quite possibly one of the worst movies of ALL time. I think they should have quit while they were ahead.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Agreed, SM2 was absolute crap -- I'm ashamed to admit I actually bought the DVD sight-unseen, and have been considering flogging it off ever since.

But just look at the numbers, $71mil is not small change, considering its budget was probably in the $30mil range or less. And that's just US box office, even if international business was a modest 50% of US, that's another $35mil. So about $100mil on a $30mil investment, good business methinks. And add video/DVD sales?

If SM4 parodies the comic-books, then we're getting into the realm of self-parody as well, they retain the SM name both as a "brand" (making it easier -- and cheaper -- to market) and also take the piss out of themselves by making a movie unrelated to the genre it was originally spoofing.

Whatever makes money, eh?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
If SM4 parodies the comic-books, then we're getting into the realm of self-parody as well, they retain the SM name both as a "brand" (making it easier -- and cheaper -- to market) and also take the piss out of themselves by making a movie unrelated to the genre it was originally spoofing.
Isn't SM3 supposed to be parodying the Harry Potter / Lord Of The Rings / Star Wars films? Methinks they have left the Scary Movie genre already.

I saw SM1 a while ago, and it was the most unbelievable rubbish. The ONLY funny part of the film was the part where the girl was stabbed to death for talking in the film. That was funny. But the rest of it was all toilet humour (Hey, lets stab someone with an erect penis! Hey, let's send someone a polaroid of their small penis! Hey, let's do Johnny Depp's death, but with semen! Hey, let's have the handicapped guy put his penis in the vacumn cleaner!) with little wit or intelligence. And then they throw in all the pointless parodies of other films. What was the point of suddenly making Matrix jokes? Or referencing The Usual Suspects? What does any of that have to do with anything, other than some desperate attempt to be funny by copying a scene from another randomly selected film, with no attempt to actually include anything approximating a joke.

I hear the second is even worse (Hey, let's do the Exorcist pea-soup scene, but with urine!), and I refuse to go near any more of these films. But the fact that we are getting an SM4 just proves that the almighty dollar reigns supreme in Hollywood and that all creativity and artistry is irrelevant today. We already knew that, but it's sad to be reminded.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
While I did like the first SCARY MOVIE (Part 2 is indeed crap), I have to say STUDENT BODIES is easily the greatest horror spoof ever filmed. Absolutely hilarious and underrated gem, and possibly my favorite spoof, period.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think what made Scary Movie so good was that while being a spoof, it had a pretty solid plot that was reminiscent of the SCREAM series, while incorporating bits and gags from many other 'horror' flicks. And it was well done. SM2 was just a bunch of barf gags thrown together, in comparison to SM1.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i went to the first one pretty much kicking and screaming. i had zero desire to see it. i must admit i laughed quite a bit - good movie overall.

never saw the second one...no desire to.
I have to say STUDENT BODIES is easily the greatest horror spoof ever filmed.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hey where were all you guys when I posted a missive to Paramount virtually begging for a Student Bodies DVD? :D

I'd buy one!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks