Scary Bass...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

Have any of you played the Two Towers Trailer (easter-egg on Disc 2 of the LOTR-EE).
    At the end of the trailer just after Gollum does his thing, an ominuous bass tone starts to play. very low in my experience... (my subwoofer didn't do so well with it, though, so I'm not really sure).
    It's like the trailer was mixed way too hot in the LFE department.
    Either that, or my subwoofer is underpowered.
    Just wondering, has anyone else tried this scene?
    ----
    The Two Towers Easter egg is accessed as following:
    (let me think)
    (On DISC2)
    First, you go to Scene Selections
    then you choose the last batch of scenes (only one, the extended end-titles)
    then you go to the batch-scene selection again, but now you press "down" on your dvd-remote.
    There should be an image of two towers. Click on that, and voila, unique trailer in DD5.1 (not downloadable, either)
    http://www.dvdreview.com/eastereggs/collect/433.html

2. Willem Vos

anybody?

3. I'll try it today. Not sure it is much worse than the single digit bass that cranks out of Black Hawk Down!!

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How does one access the LOTR:TTT easter egg? Are there any trailers for FOTR as easter eggs aw well?

5. Willem Vos

The Two Towers Easter egg is accessed as following:
    (let me think)

(On DISC2)
    First, you go to Scene Selections
    then you choose the last batch of scenes (only one, the extended end-titles)
    then you go to the batch-scene selection again, but now you press "down" on your dvd-remote.
    There should be an image of two towers. Click on that, and voila, unique trailer in DD5.1 (not downloadable, either)

Sadly, there is no trailer for FOTR anywhere on the EE(at least not that I know of)
    There is the MTV spoof on Disc 1 though... very funny. (accessed the same way)

6. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

I've viewed this trailer a few times and I must say, it has some impressive bass. Although, I don't think I ever found it overwhelming the other channels. One thing to consider, most consumer subwoofers tend to be designed to excessively reproduce certain frequencies to make the LFE sound very loud so my guess is your sub is giving off excess frequencies of already-loud LFE, so you put them together and you get overwhelmingly heavy bass. I remember when watching this trailer for the first time in my theater being really impressed with the bass. But that's just me, and my tolerance for bass is also a bit higher than some that I know.

7. Jon_Liu

Jon_Liu Stunt Coordinator

I've viewed this trailer a few times and I must say, it has some impressive bass. Although, I don't think I ever found it overwhelming the other channels. One thing to consider, most consumer subwoofers tend to be designed to excessively reproduce certain frequencies to make the LFE sound very loud so my guess is your sub is giving off excess frequencies of already-loud LFE, so you put them together and you get overwhelmingly heavy bass. I remember when watching this trailer for the first time in my theater being really impressed with the bass. But that's just me, and my tolerance for bass is also a bit higher than some that I know.

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The end of the Two Towers Easter Egg trailer - in all of its widescreen DD 5.1 glory, is room shaking!

BTW, the other easter egg on disc one is very funny.

Ed

9. Chris James

Chris James Stunt Coordinator

Willem, try chapter 4 on Black Hawk Down where the helicopters are taking off. There is some intense sub-sonic information, among the highest I have seen on a DVD. Like Anthony said, it has got to be in the single digits. BTW, I own an SVS 16-46PCi.

10. Willem Vos

Thanks Chris,
    I can't try it now, because I've sold my subwoofer (it was a REL Q150E).
    Any subwoofer that can't handle LOTR or Black Hawk Down is not the right one for me!
    I'll try that scene once my new subwoofer gets here (if it gets here in one piece) [​IMG]

11. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I must not be doing something right or I dont completely understand what you are doing because I cant find it??? Any ideas its driving me nuts wonting to see it[​IMG]

12. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Never mind I just figured it out[​IMG] Dose anyone know when TTT will be out on DVD? I wont to go see it in the theater but our theaters are so crappy here I cant stand the thought of going to them no matter how bad I wont to see it. Also will it be like LOTR having a theatrical version first fowled by another EE later?

13. Willem Vos