What's new

SCART to S-Video cable for DVD (1 Viewer)

Marco_Rem

Auditioning
This is my very first message here, so...hello everybody!

I just bought a cheap DVD player from MUSTEK, the V520, which is able to play also MP3 files from CD. I paid a real low amount of money for it, so I'm very satisfied by the quality of this player.

The only thing which makes me sad is that a S-Video out connector is not available (only SCART and composite). In the manual, I read that the S-Video is provided via the SCART plug.

My question is: is this possible? I mean...is it possible to divide luminance and chrominance via the SCART cable? And, if it is, may I use a SCART to S-Video cable in order to get a better signal than the one obtained with the normal SCART cable?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Marco_Rem

Auditioning
Update: since nobody here replied to my thread (sigh) I went out and bought a Scart to S-Video adapter. Unfortunately, I didn't find a direct cable, so I had to stick with this solution.

The image obtained through this adapter, and thus to a S-Video cable, is really poor. Sometimes, it's even black & white. What am I missing?

If I find a direct SCART to S-Video cable, will the image be any better?

Thanks in advance for your help (please!!).

Marco, the Adaptor you have purchased should be fine, these look a bit cheap, however they do work fine and from my experience do not degrade the signal.

However if you are only getting a black and white signal you may not have set your DVD player up correctly. When a Scart is used for S-Vid the Luma channel is sent via the composite channel (pin20) and the chroma is sent on the Red channel (pin 15). If you are seeing a black and white picture then either the adaptor or cable is faulty and not passing the chroma channel, or your DVD still has its SCART connector still set to Composite, in which case you may have no chroma channel or the chroma channel may even have Red info on it.

So before going any further check both the TV and DVD player have the appropriate SCART connector set for S-Vid. If still no avail start checking the cable or adaptor.

As I said before you most likely will see little if any difference between an Adaptor/S-vid setup and a fully wired S-Vid SCART cable.

Cheers

Stephen

Marco_Rem

Auditioning
Dear Stephen, first of all, thanks for your reply.

Actually, I had set my DVD player wrong, to RGB out, while I had to set it to YUV out. I did that, and now the image is colored.

But, the SCART-to-SCART image is still way clearer than this one. There must be something wrong, since the S-Video signal should definitely be better. Can it be the adapter, or what?

I'm in the US, but I have an RGB-only monitor, so I noted with interest that some region-free DVD players sold from European internet sites had SCART RGB outputs. Can anyone in the world tell me whether there are adapters that can convert SCART to HD-15 or multiple RCA or BNC connectors for my monitor? Would pins need to be changed?

Marco_Rem

Auditioning
I finally solved my problem, by buying a 21 pins scart cable, and selecting RGB as output (instead of YUV). Doing this way, the image is way better than before, since it uses the component signal.

Of course, I was lucky that my TV supported this kind of signal through SCART plug!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks