SCART to Component converters?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BrettisMckinney, Nov 26, 2002.

1. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

I'm getting a TV that has SCART but my dvd player only has S-Video and Component. I was wondering if you can get something that could plug in to the component so it connects to SCART?

2. Barry McCarthy

Barry McCarthy Auditioning

If the DVD player _REALLY_ only outputs Component, then you need a Component to RGB transcoder. These devices are readily available.
    e.g :
    http://www.keene-electronics.co.uk/c...earch.pl?RGB2C
    If the DVD player will output RGB on the 3 component connectors, then you can wire these up to a Scart, and use Composite Video for the Sync signal. I forget the pinouts, but a quick search on the web will throw them up.

3. BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney Second Unit

Thanks Barry, appreciate it.

4. Anthony Urzi

Anthony Urzi Stunt Coordinator

I have the reverse trbl, dvd has scart tv has both rgb and componant, the cabel it game me is scart to rgb...problem is it's too short, i need somthing 2 meters or longer and i'm not spendign $100 for a cable :)

Any sugestions? been searching the forums, the web, the a/v links on the htf, nothing that fits my needs.

5. Anthony Urzi

added email notification

6. Barry McCarthy

Depends what you mean when you say 'tv has rgb', and what the 'Scart to RGB' cable is. Scart plug uses RGB signals, but the sync signal is carried on the composite video signal. If you wish to connect a Scart to an RGB device, you firstly need to know what sync signal the RGB device is expecting. Some have a separate sync connector (horizontal and vertical sync combined, some have 2 separate sync connectors, one for horizontal and one for vertical. Some expect the Green signal to incorporate a combined h and v sync. If you only have 3 connectors, then RGB with Sync on green (RGsB) is the most likely. If this is the case, then the cable you currently have must have some circuitry to extract the sync from the Scart Composite video signal and combine it with the Green signal. Assuming you have 3 RCA or BNC connectors on the end of your cable, all you need to do is get three matching lengths of 75 Ohm coax and put RCA or BNC connectors on the ends. Connect one end to your existing cable and the other to your TV. Same applies if you have 4 or 5 RCA/BNC connectors really.

7. Anthony Urzi

The dvd has the scart connector the tv has both componant input and a 5 rca jack RGB area, and suports both rba with sinc on g as well as seperate v/h sync it will acept either.

The current cable is a compnant plus audio from scart, so 3 chanals for video, whatever they are, red blue and green colored cables, and a l/r stereo rca for audio. I made a mistake early the scart is not scart to rgb, but rather scart to componant. I'm looking for scart to rgb

what we ended up doing for now is just get 3 bullet connectors to extend the cable form teh rca end.

Ideally i'd still like a proper length (about 2-3m) scart to 5 rca RGB cable, as the pecking order in quality is suposedly rgb, componant, svid, composit, coax, right?

8. Barry McCarthy

The difference between RGB and Component is negligible. RGB is theoretically slightly better, but slightly more susceptible to transmission interference. I would suggest you stick with your component solution, as there is no really easy (or cheap) way to go SCART -> RGsB or SCART -> RGBHV