Scart crisis

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyS, Oct 21, 2001.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

I need a bit of advice..
    I only have one scart socket on my TV and vcr.
    It's fine for my sky digibox and vcr, as they feed through the digibox and then into my single socket on the TV.
    Every time I want to watch my dvd'S I have to reach behind my TV and unplug my digbox/vcr cable and then plug in my DVD player. Now, does this constant unplugging/plugging damge my £45 QED DVD scart cable? I assume it does...
    And now what about a solution?
    Do I by just a 2 way scart adapter?
    Or do I buy a £80 "scart switching box"? (where you plug in everything and it all comes off one scart cable)
    If I do buy this will the picture quality suffer as it may be "diluted" by the switch box? (dvd to switchbox, switchbox to tv)
    ARGH!!!
    Can anyone help?
    What would you do/buy?
    Is my expensive cable being damaged?
    ARGH!!! :)
    I really would appreciate some help
    Danny

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Your QED cable connectors are likely to get worn over time but I doubt this would cause any major problems. I'd actually be more concerned about the wear on the crappy TV socket.
    You don't need to spend eighty quid on a switcher. Lektropacks sell a decent range of switchers. I used a three-way model for a couple of years and never had any problems with it, nor did I notice any signal degradation.
    Take a look HERE for their range. You can spend a lot if you want but it's usually unnecessary.

3. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

the catch is my QED cable is RGB only and the scart sockets I' looking at only support normal signal. what do I do?
    I guess I'll have to spend the £80 on the switching box that supports RGB