1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

SCART <-> Component cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yumbo, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

can I buy this from somewhere?

please, anyone?

I have a Philips 36 Wide TV, which only has SCART inputs and S-Video (quality can be better).

2. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

Someone provided this site to me: (I haven't checked it out fully but they have a lot of cable conversion products)
    www.svideo.com

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Also try www.jenving.se. They are a Swedish manufacturer and I was able to order some stuff directly from them since at the time they did not have a US distributor, which of course makes it cheaper if with the shipping.

4. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Neither of the above two places have what we are looking for. I am yet to find it, and I am beginning to think that no one makes such a cable.

To make it absolutely clear, the cable in question is 3XRCA to SCART RGB. There is no such thing as component to SCART because SCART devices speak RGB, not component.

However my Malata DVD player does output RGB as well as component through the 3XRCA "component" jacks. I have a SCART equiped Sony WEGA TV and would love to trade the S-Video hookup for a SCART based RGB connection, but I am yet to find the cable. The closest I have come so far was a British site which offered an unidirectional SCRAT RGB to 4XRCA, I guess to connect European DVD players to certain types of projectors.

Ted

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Ted, the only other place I could think of would be: http://www.telly-leads.co.uk. Other than that you may want to send an E-Mail to Jenving since they manufacture the cables and can possibly make it or give you the pin diagram and sell you the materials.

6. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

hmmm,

just realised my TV is RGB only (SCART)...so, is there such a thing as a component to RGB converter (which I prefer, so I can route through my amp), or should I be looking at a new RGB player (for direct to TV video)?

thanks

7. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Audio Authority, www.audioauthority.com, makes a convereter from RCA to RGB (15 pin) as well as others. You may also want to look at the other sites noted above.

8. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

The Audio Authority doesn't seem to have heard of SCART either.

To answer Chris' question: I think you should just get a RGB/SCART equiped player. If a component to RGB converter is good enough to produce a better picture than native S-Video it will probably cost more than a DVD player -- and you STILL have the SCART connector problem.

In my case, I don't need any kind of signal conversion, but the SCART alone seems to be an insurmountable problem.

Ted

9. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

They replied and said a customer did a DIY solution:

"Thank you for your inquiry. We haven't done much with SCART, since we don't

have it here, but one of our customers built an adapter like what you want

using a 9A62 and a homemade cable. His cable connected the 9A62 R, G and B

signals to the SCART R, G and B pins and the 9A62 Csync pin to a SCART pin,

probably pin 20, through a 3300 ohm resistor. The cable must be short, less

than 6 feet."

My Grundig dealer just called with some SCART players just arrived.

Q: Is a RGB TV able to handle a progressive signal if input somehow?

Or is that only a component signal issue?

Is RGB better than component, and/or progressive?

thanks

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Q: Is a RGB TV able to handle a progressive signal if input somehow?
    A: Not necessarily. RGB exists in interlaced NTSC (480i) and interlaced PAL (576i) as well as all the computer formats SVGA (800 x 600; 600p) etc. You need to know what the acceptable scan rate inputs for your TV are.
    Q: Is RGB better than component, and/or progressive?
    A: Theoretically RGB and component are the same quality, in practice component sources (including DVD progressive and interlaced, U.S. HDTV, U.S. DTV) carry half the horizontal resolution on the Pb and Pr lines. RGB signals that were Y-Pb-Pr component sometime in their earlier lives will have no more than the same quality as the component video they used to be.
    Also a SCART cable set can carry Y-Pb-Pr component, with the Y and sync. combined on the green line, the Pr on the red line, and the Pb on the blue line. YOu will have to be sure the TV accepts component video through its SCART jack. If it accepts both RGB and component, there will be a manual selection somewhere since it is impossible to analyze the video signal itself and automatically tell which is which.
    Other video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm