What's new

SCART cable question (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
There are several DVD Players including the new Malata region free progressive player are configurable to speak RGB through their (3XRCA) component outputs. However I haven’t been able to find a cable to connect them to a SCART RGB port.
I have a European Sony PAL/NTSC 16:9 TV. For the best quality video connection, my Sony (as do most Euro TVs) has a RGB input. Unfortunately it uses the standard (in Europe) SCART connector. While the Malata does appear to speak RGB, it does not speak SCART.
Has anyone heard of a component-RGB (3XRCA) to SCART (RGB) cable? Any and all help appreciated.
Ted

Ted, that cable is relatively common here and obviously in the UK. Give me a couple of days and I will hunt out some UK based e-tailers for you.
If you are handy with a soldering iron then purhaps you local radio shack has a Scart connector and you simply need to wire it up with some simple 75ohm radio shack video cable with RCA's already attached.
This link will give you all the connection details you require, if you have difficulty with understanding the pin out then drop a note here.
http://www.telsat.com/scart.htm
Cheers
Stephen.
[Edited last by stephen abbot on August 10, 2001 at 05:50 PM]

Ted, it would seem that the actual cable you require is non existant as most people wanting to connect a scarted RGB source to a scarted RGB display would use the very common Scart to Scart cable.
Scart to composite+audio, all using RCA connectors and Scart to Svid+audio (4pin Svid + L/R RCA) are also common and normally available cables.
It would appear to me that you will need to have a cable specifically made for you, as I suggested in my first post, if you cannot find the parts or someone to do that then a may be able to help out.
Cheers
Stephen.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I've heard of people doing this but I don't believe it's just a case of buying the cable. RGB and Component are not the same thing.
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Rob, I think in this case it is not a problem, the Malta can be configured to output either RGB or component via the component/RGB triple RCA connector set on it's rear panel. There are not many but a few players that can be configured this way, it would appear the malta is one of them, very useful.
Cheers
Stephen.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, this is definitely true of the Malata, the triple RCA connectors are configurable to several different types of output including RGB.
I can't pretend I know my way around a soldering iron. Considering that the Malata seems to be a very popular player making and selling the cables seems like a marvelous business opportunity for someone :) (I guess it would only be worth it if the Malatas were being sold in Europe as well).
Thanks for the info, all of you who posted. I think I'm going to get a Malata -- ordering a modified Sony from Switzerland seems like a complicated and expensive proposition...
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks