Scarlet Street DVD???

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Paul_Saul, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Paul_Saul

Paul_Saul Stunt Coordinator

What is the best DVD verison of this movie?

Is there a DVD with good image quality available?

2. Mark Philp

Mark Philp Second Unit

Mark
    I don't know if there is a "best" version of this title. If there is I haven't seen it. I've bought three or four of these from different companies and it was obvious that they all came from the same print source (pretty bad). I've been trying to find a good copy of "The Red House" and it's the same thing. Every one I've gotten is the same. In fact just last week I got a "new" release of a double feature with both these titles on the Critics Choice label and, you guessed it, both were the same as all the others I've got. Good luck if you ever do find a good one let us know.

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Count me in too for wanting decent copies of "Scarlet Street" & "The Red House".

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Oh, the woes of falling into the public domain. A film suddenly becomes an orphan as the owners of the original negative find no reason to clean it up and release it on DVD since it's open season and any company could ostensibly rip off the print and put it out.

I'm forever grateful that Columbia took a chance and released a pristine print of His Girl Friday despite all the poor public domain copies out there.

I'm hoping Warners will release pristine prints of Royal Wedding, Till The Clouds Roll By, Last Time I Saw Paris and that Fox will do the same for Snows Of Kiliminjaro and Beneath The 12 Mile Reef, all of whom are available with problematic public domain prints.

And who has the rights to De Sica's Two Women with an Oscar winning performance by Sophia Loren? There are a proliferation of public domain copies out there, all almost unwatchable.

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I have also never seen a decent print of Scarlet Street on DVD.

Beat the Devil, A Walk in the Sun & One Eyed Jacks are 3 more public domain titles that I would love to see a nice transfer on DVD.

6. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

A French dvd was released last month.

This from DonaldB on his art/independent dvd list:

and here it is at
    amazon.fr.

7. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Apparently not.

Kudos to Columbia and MGM for taking a chance on a couple of PD titles within the last year or so. According to this thread Paramount is going to release The Strange Love Of Martha Ivers....... we'll see.

8. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

That would be fantastic if they released the Strange Love of Martha Ivers on DVD. That's a fantastic noir, but one that I haven't bought yet due to the many different public domain copies available out there. I was actually considering it soon, but if Paramount may be releasing it, I'll wait.

9. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

While Paramount may be able to do better with it, Hal Roach Studios' STRANGE LOVE... (released in 2000) isn't bad if you can still find it.

10. Armin Jager

Armin Jager Stunt Coordinator

From which studio could we expect a decent release? It was a Walter Wanger production and released by Universal (as was SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR).
    It's Fritz Lang's best film of the forties, it was scandalous and very successful, it has Edward G.Robinson and an absolutely towering performance by Joan Bennett. Is there really nobody to release it in a decent shape?
    A Fritz Lang/Joan Bennett box would be wonderful, but THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is an RKO production and MAN HUNT a Fox one, so it probably won't happen.

11. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

Warner have remastered and released to DVD at least two PD cartoons (Yankee Doodle Daffy and Corny Concerto), so that may spell hope for some of their PD features. And Warner discs are usually so inexpensive, any moderately sensible consumer will likely choose the legit edition, complete with extras, given the choice.

Hope for non-WB PD titles may lie in Criterion, who have made My Man Godfrey and Charade available, both of which are PD.

12. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike Agent

Anyone think we'll see a nicer transfer? DVDBeaver mentions that the Kino is pretty good, albeit interlaced. I might just go for this one, but does anyone see the possibility of a better release anytime? I posted on the noir thread but figured this DVD might be worth discussion since this thread never really addressed the Kino DVD.

13. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Go with the Kino, Ivy. It looks very good and I seriously doubt you'll see a better print on DVD in the near future.

14. Chris Cheese

Chris Cheese Stunt Coordinator

Considering how bad the transfers were before the Kino, I'm pretty happy with that one. There wasn't a print that I'd even call watchable out there before that one. Yeah, it's interlaced, but watching that Kino DVD was a complete revelation for me.

15. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

There's the Kino Video release which I've yet to see, but I'm sure looks better than anything else available. Great orig. poster art too. The only downside (and it's sort of a big one) is that the transfer wasn't done progressively and apparently there's some combine evident.

But the R2 Paramount DVD has burned in French subs and horrible image quality, the worst I've seen. I actually can't believe they charge money for that piece of junk.

Maybe VCI will get around to releasing it as part of their new Noir series eventually...

16. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    Except VCI doesn't do progressive transfers and I doubt they can get their hands on better transfer than Kino. They already released in as part of Acme DVD series which includes old horrible public domain transfers.