Scarface

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John^Lal, Mar 15, 2003.

1. John^Lal

John^Lal Stunt Coordinator

I have tried searching within the forums but it always says "due to high traffic" i can't perform search. So i would like to know if someone could redirect me to a forum about Scarface (1983) Brian De Palma, Al Pacino. I have seen this movie once, and seen enough random scenes from it to have seen it twice, and really despise it. Partly because so many people loved this movie and yet there so many other movies with a similar story that are so much better.
    I would like to know if such informed viewers such as yourselves share the same opinion as i do or not. From those of you who did like it, i would like to know what it is about the movie that enthralls so many audiences.

2. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

Do you mean the Howard Hawks or Brian De Palma version?

I personally don't find either to be great, but I can enjoy both. Muni and Pacino are both pretty good; Muni for his straight professionalism and brutal coldness and Pacino for his scene chewing performance, which has unfortunately somewhat defined his post Godfathers career. The De Palma version might be more liked and viewed by most people today, but I would say it's because of the over the top violence. In terms of glorified action, it's campy, and kind of fun. The 30s version is equally explosive, and superior; the downfall of Scarface is more powerful, and the incestuous relationship with his sister is much more compelling than the 80s one. However, I think that it argues for good morals too strongly, becoming a bit preachy.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I was introduced to Scarface as a freshman in college (94) and I've been a fan ever since. It was my first rise and fall of a gangster film so that makes it a classic. I'd put it in the same category as Rocky IV and Star Wars in that I can still enjoy them like I did the first time I saw them but they wouldn't be worth a second viewing if they were released in 2003.

4. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

The 30's version is a pile of crap, and I can tell you that just from seeing 10 second clips from the making of on Scarface CE DVD.
    Scarface with Al Pacino is one and only to me, it's not a remake or anything.

Yoo tink yoo can take me? I'ma Tony Montana! Okay! You wanna play rough? Okay! How dyoo lik dat huh! Yeah! You *#@&$ monkeys! I take yo bullets! Eh! I'ma still standin' (@#*$*$!

You need people lik mme so yoo cood point your fffingers and ssay, dat's the bad guy! Last time you see a bad guy like dis lemme tell ya.

[​IMG]

These 2 scenes are the best and whole movie is infinitely rewatchable. It's way better than any Godfather or Goodfellas movie.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Comments such as the above causes others not to take your opinion seriously.[​IMG] It's great that you love the 1983 film, but it really isn't necessary to degrade the 1932 film as crap to display your love for the Pacino film, especially if you haven't even seen the older film from beginning to end.

Crawdaddy

6. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Hey f@#k you Mang!!, who put this thing together? Me, thats who. Who do I trust? Me, thats who

My favorite lines from the whole movie[​IMG]

7. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Yes it is. [​IMG]

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I know my "statement" will seem idiotic and ridiculous, but it makes a point of how I am towards such films, they are just too old to be enjoyable at all.
    I draw a line at about 1975, with a few exceptions like Dirty Harry.

I'm sure there will be pricks like me in 50 years saying they can't bare to watch that old, primitive Resident Evil... though there are some today already, bad example. [​IMG]

9. John^Lal

ok, to clean this forum up a bit...i am only asking about Scarface (1983) Brian De Palma, Al Pacino, Michelle Phiffer I have only seen 30 min of the original B&W one.

10. John^Lal

[rant]reasons why i don't like Scarface 1) De Palma, i only like 1 of all his movies (Mission Impossible), i think his direction is terrible, the lighting being the thing that annoyed me the most. 2) all these rappers think it's a great movie because it's about "a guy like me" who rose from nothing and became something great. The only thing is The Godfather has the same impact on the rise from Rags to Riches and it ends without having your protagonist being shot to s***. 3) reason why so many of my friends like it is because of it's explicit use of drugs and violence. The final scene when he shoots the crap out of the comers with his "friend" and finally falls through the railing and into the fountain thing and the whole place is swiss cheese and yet that neon globe is untouched and still lit. i would like to know if he (Brian De Palma) meant anything by this and if he did..what?..because it just seemed lame to me. An immature ending to an immature movie. I can't think of too much more that i dislike about the movie, it's been a while since i saw it[/rant]

11. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

12. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Yeah, who does that Howard Hawks think he's kidding, trying to direct a movie? [​IMG]

As for the DePalma version, I saw it years before catching the original and even then I thought it was far too long, far too ugly, and far too lacking in anything worth saying to justify the first two.

Evan

13. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

14. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Al Capone was nicknamed Scarface, Howard Hawks classic was very loosely based on Capone with an added subplot involving Tony's sister, the Italian Tony Camonte was changed to the Cuban Tony Montana for De Palma's remake.
    I love both films.

"Manolo shoot dat pis of chit!"

15. John^Lal

I am still wondering if people like this movie because of the way it is made or just because of the way they kill, swear, have sex, and do drugs.

16. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

17. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

How about all of the above [​IMG]

18. OcieB

OcieB Stunt Coordinator