What's new

Scarface on Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
I love this movie. Just saw a special 25th anniversary screening of the movie in Miami.

Has anybody heard anything about when this will be coming to Blu-Ray?

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
There was no date, but a couple of days ago Universal in Sweden announced that work is under way on Scarface, along with Gladiator, Hot Fuzz, Carlito's Way, Love Actually and the Bourne trilogy.

When they do release it though, they better make sure to include the original audio track, and not just the new Platinum Edition mix.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Kris:

I have heard of differences in the soundtrack between the original movie and new releases but I can't quite pinpoint what they are.

Does one of these differences occur during the opening credits? The scarface theme music heard as the mariel boatlift occurs is slightly different with some new musical elements?

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
I honestly couldn't tell you. When the PE was released there was a video comparison between the old and the new mixes and I thought all the gun sounds (cocking, shooting, explosions) were just too loud and gaudy and sounded all wrong, so I decided to skip it.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I was also at the Miami screening - the event was wonderful - like Rocky Horror on crack. It was a blast.

The print was quite good, but the audio presentation was poor - I'm referring to the set-up in the theater, not the sound mix delivered with the print. At one point early on, members of the audience were yelling "louder" as the dialogue was muffled.

The print included the new Platinum mix, which was unmistakable if you've seen the 20th Anniversary or older DVD/laserdisc, VHS, etc. which included the old mix.

Since this was the first time I heard this mix, I first noticed drastic changes during the gunfire at the Miami Beach hotel drug deal gone bad scene. The machine guns sounded like they were coming from The Matrix, with striking low end and dynamics. I only noticed the changes in the gunfire and some foley, throughout the film, but again, the sound presentation at the theater was not optimal, so I can't be sure.

All of Giorgio Moroder's score and the club music (Debbie Harry, et al) were intact.

I agree that the Blu-ray should include both mixes, and retain the wonderful natural grain that was present in the print.

Interesting side-note re: grain at the screening - as Tony and his pals drive up and make that U-turn to park across the street from the infamous hotel, I suddenly noticed the grain "snap" into focus, and I realized the projectionist was on his game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks