1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Scarface DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Brown, Aug 19, 2002.

1. James Brown

James Brown Stunt Coordinator

Which is the correct/true Scarface DVD?? Looking to get a copy but I hear there are a lot of fakes. Which one should I look out for? Looking to order thru Amazon I see roughly between $43-$69 used. Know of any other places to get besides ebay?

Thanks

2. Jean Paul Villeneuve

Jean Paul Villeneuve Second Unit

YGM
    Jean Paul
    [​IMG]

3. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

I purchased a used copy of SCARFACE Collector's Edition DVD for $9.99 last year from a local supermarket chain's DVD/Video rental department. That was the last time I saw the DVD in any store.
    What's the scoop on the fakes?

4. BrianA

BrianA Auditioning

I've also been wondering the same thing, I understand this dvd is OOP. Does anyone know if they plan on rereleasing this title anytime soon?
    Thanks,
    Brian[​IMG]

5. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

This was the first DVD I bought. I remember spending countless hours adjusting my set, thinking that the picture quality was so crappy due to a mis-calibration...

6. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator

The fake version has a DTS banner and the seller is usually from Hong Kong.

7. James Brown

There are so many people out there trying to sell this online and a bunch of them are claiming DTS tracks. Which is the the one to look out for?

8. James Brown

Sorry David, I must have been posting while you were.

Anybody out there looking to sell their copy?

9. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

The UPC# on the official Universal release is: 0-2519-20175-2-0. Don't be fooled by most of the Scarface DVD's for sale on eBay. Many sellers are listing these DTS or Special Edition DVD's as the genuine version of the "Collector's Edition", when it's not! The vast majority you see are the Asian Imports that were produced without consent of Universal pictures. They are bootlegs and it's a shame people are actually buying them thinking they got the real thing. Universal Pictures has NEVER published an "ENHANCED SPECIAL EDITION" or "DTS" version of Scarface.

10. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

11. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Jeff
    Great to hear about the anamorphic transfer. R2 it is then
    [​IMG]

12. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

The Pal Anamorphic R2 dvd looks fantastic....and is in discrete 4.0 dolby digital...it looks and sounds many times better than the R1 edition - well worth the £10 you can get it on-line for.

M

13. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

wow didnt know this DVD was out of print. This one of my all time favorite movies and 1st DVD purchases ever.
    I would have picked up all the copies I seen at circuit city i had seen weeks ago if i'd know [​IMG]

14. Dewitte

Dewitte Stunt Coordinator

Holy crap.

Even working just the three days a week at Suncoast, I get no less than 20-30 requests for this disc a week. My manager tells me a 20th Anniversary Edition is in the works for next year but I have yet to see any proof of this.

Hey Universal. Put this disc on the fast track. I'd like to sell these discs instead of constantly turning people away.

Dewitte

15. Mark Hammon

Mark Hammon Stunt Coordinator

In the San Francisco Bay area there are LOTS of used CD/DVD stores. I saw 3 original (used) copies of SCARFACE last Friday at 3 different stores. Each one was being sold at $79.99. When these stores have them they have xerox copies of the artwork in the package and a sticky stating they can be piced up at the counter. One of the rumors has been that Universal was doing a Ultimate Edition. So far I've seen nothing more than these rumors. One of them had the movie being rescore by rappers...
    I saw one 6 months ago for $39.99 I wish I had purchased it to sell on EBay! [​IMG]

16. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

So, wait a minute, first it's the worst looking DVD ever, now it's OOP and people paying $50+ for it? Phhhht. [​IMG]

17. Craig_T

Craig_T Second Unit

18. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I'd love to see this film re-released and re-mastered on DVD and part of a set with the original 1932 Paul Muni Scarface.

Neil

19. HankM

HankM Second Unit

20. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

Are the supplements the same on the Region 1 and Region 2 versions? Anyone know for sure?