Scared of RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Bass, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

Ok a local retailer is having a 24 month no interest financing deal and I just bought a house (finally!!!) So I've been cruising for a new display for the past week and had more or less made up my mind on a nice 47"-53" HD ready RPTV, being undecided between the Toshiba 50" and the Panny 47" or 53". Well now after reading the burn in thread I have to say I'm stronly considering just moving down to a 36" direct view Wega or something along those lines.
    Are RPTV's really that easy to ruin? I don't know if I could tolerate burning the tubes through normal uses within a year as seemed to have happened to so many here. Some go so far as to state that it's simply unavoidable and sooner or later it'll show up, whether you're carefull or not. Right now as a secondary TV I have a 19" relic from around the 70's and it's chugging along no problem. As much as I wanted to move off of direct view, if they have a chance at running for 30+ years and a RPTV is almost guaranteed to have a problem whether it takes 5 years or 9 months, I'm a bit scared to drop $2k on one.
    For users who have used both technologies, what's your opinion? With some common sense and a bit of care will a RPTV last? Or is it just a matter of time and a stroke of bad luck before the inevidable problem occurs?

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well I've had my Pioneer SD-582-HD5 about 2 and a half years. A few weeks ago I noticed indications of a slight burn-in problem. I used to watch 2.35:1 anamorphic videos in Cinema-Wide mode. This left a very small, maybe 3/4" black abr on the top and bottom. Well for some reason I now notice a difference in that small area at the bottom compared with the picture just above it, when the entire screen is in use. Luckily it did not seem to effect the top portion. I think it was worse on the bottom because I also did a fair amount of viewing cable news networks, with the scroll along the bottom. Fortunately it is very faint and you have to look for this, it is not really noticeable when you just watch the picture. It is sort of like the thin gray horizontal lines across a Trinitron tube. Now I intend to watch as much as possible in modes that completely fill the screen, which should be possible for everything except 2.35:1 non-anamorphic.

3. Carlos Picart

I just spent 2k on a RPTV and I too was worried about burn in/other problems... my hope is that it's not really going to be a prob.. and by the time it is, I will have upgraded to a better technology. I'm a firm believer that if you take care of the TV the TV will take care of you for many years, so I took my chances on an RPTV.

4. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Ive just bought my 2nd rptv.1st one was a rca 52"that Ive had for 9 yrs,no burn in problem.
    My 2nd is a 65"tosh.I agree with Carlos.If you take care of your set,you should have many yrs of happy viewing.

5. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Get AVIA and calibrate the set instead of running it in factory default "torch mode."

I used a 4/3 analog 53" Hitachi for countless widescreen movies as well as normal viewing for over 2 years--no burn
    in whatsoever.

My current 16/9 Sony HD-ready model has been in use for 16 months--likewise no burn in.

If you keep contrast down to a reasonable level and watch a mix of programming, and avoid leaving it on CNBC for hours at a time you will not have burn-in.

6. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Well, when I got mine I did calibrate with Avia and I did reduce contrast substantially, but still I had a problem.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Then there are threads like this one... Oh My God.....screen Burn!!!!!!! by members that are obviously knowledgeable, that still have problems. It does make one think though. Also, the mere fact that manufacturers do not cover image burn under their warranties is troublesome.

8. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

Yeah that's pretty much what has gotten me a bit nervous. It's very similar to my feelings about LCD projectors where you stand a risk of getting a pixel stuck on a few years down the road. It's very difficult making the decision between a bigger picture or a more reliable device. As I understand the plasma screens don't even have an estimated life expectancy yet. It's really got me leaning back towards the hard proven technology, since I live on a modest wage and I only get to make this buy once.

9. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

hey eric

nice to see another guy from the madison area. i grew up in monona and still work there. anyways i too was worried about this problem. after doing some research i decided to go for it. i have a sony 53" rptv and love it!. many things have been mentioned here already about this. here's a few thoughts:

1) immediately turn down the picture settings to ~50% and the sharpness to ~25%.

2) then calibrate with avia when you have time.

3) check out this article http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/burnin.html

4) don't use any "vivid" type picture setting that the tv will probably have (mine has four: vivid, pro, standard, and movie)

5) the idea is to fill the entire screen with moving/changing images. that's not always possible so just try to vary your viewing material (16x9 and 4x3). you don't want to leave static images on the screen for long amounts of time. the scrolling bars on the bottom of the screen like cnn's, tv station logos and some video game images are some of the worst.

6) check out this article: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/learnabout/burnin.html

7) when it comes to movie watching, imo bigger is better.

i know a handful of people with rptv's and non have experienced any burn-in...just my thoughts, good luck! rick

10. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

woops didn't mean to submit that link twice

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

It should also be said that AVIA can be interpreted several ways with regard to contrast settings. Keep in mind that it's giving you maximum allowable settings, not necessarily the ideal ones.

You need to realize that just because your set doesn't show bent lines or "blooming" at a high setting does not mean that's a safe setting for rptvs.
    Mine won't bend the lines or bloom at any contrast setting, even the highest one.

In the pattern with the stacked blocks on the right side of the screen, turn contrast down until the top block is noticeably gray, then back up until it just turns white--No Further! I'd bet this is well below the blooming or bent line contrast setting.

12. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

Hey Rick, I work over on the fashionable west-side. I've been looking at Circuit City and American so far. If you know of any good alternatives in town let me know and I'll definately check them out.

I went in today and had a look at the RPTVs on the floor. I was able to see the THX logo burned into a fair number of them in the lower right. It was a lot less noticable than I would have guessed and you really had to be looking for it to notice, and I'm guessing these were running in full torch mode 12 hours a day. The image had to be just the right color for it to be noticable as well. So I'm curious from users who have encountered burn as to whether the mass anger over burn is simply because it happens and ruins the perfection of the set or whether it really becomes a serious distraction over time. You'd think the mass public would be furious if it really does happen that often, unless it's usually so minor that you don't really notice it without looking specifically for it. Is burn inevidable but something that can be lived with? I guess when I picture burn I'm thinking old green or amber computer monitors where it looks like someone took a sharpie and drew on the screen it's so bad.

13. Justin Hargis

Justin Hargis Stunt Coordinator

I've seen burn-in in 4x3 and 16x9 RPTVs. I've also seen burn-in in Plasmas.

Yeah, most burn-in you likely wouldn't notice unless there's a white or blue (like the blue sky in Cast Away) background.

I guess it depends on how severe the burn-in is, also.

14. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I owned a 40" analog Toshiba widescreen for 4 years and put I don't know how many hours on it. Not a hint of burn-in. Just calibrate it properly and bring your contrast down as low as you are comfortable with.

15. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

my only beef with CRT RPTV/Plasma is:

"I've paid that much for an equipment and STILL I have to baby it?"

DLP/LCD (or similar non-burn-in-prone technology) for me from now on.

16. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

Yeah that's kinda my opinion on the matter. If I spend that much on a TV I want to be able to enjoy it and not have to display everything distorted or flip channels constantly and so on to keep it from ruining itself. You're never going to watch DVD's at their correct aspect ratio, you're going to pick some stretch mode that fills in your entire screen to prevent wear, at least it seems like that's what so many recommend. I can already see myself spending more time thinking about what's static on the screen and for how long than I would enjoying what's actually being displayed on the screen. Seems like a big compromise to me. I'm torn because when looking over the displays in the store it's all too obvious that a 50" RPTJ is a heck of a lot closer to being in the theater than a 36" tube is.

Maybe a tube tv now and later a projector for movies is the way to go.

17. Jeramy_K

Jeramy_K Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a 32" Panasonic tube that is 4 years old and is a prime example that even tubes can suffer from burn in.

-Jeramy

18. Rick J

Rick J Stunt Coordinator

hi eric

i guess i agree with hanson. if calibrated properly and you occasionally alter your viewing habits, i think you'll be fine. even on a 4x3, if watching a widescreen movie you're only watching something usually for ~90 minutes. i haven't heard of anyone having a problem with that. if you would constantly do that, then that would be a problem. one of the problems i heard about was from a guy who worked out of his house and watched cnn during the day to keep an eye on the stocks or some thing and that constant scrolling bar and the logo burned in. again if the settings are turned down, it's not like you have to keep changing the channels every little while.

as far as deals, i went to american on the east side last february. i waited for their friends and family sale (1/2 their normal markup) and saved over $500 from what circuit city had it listed for. if you do that sale, then you can't finance it. on the other hand, you can put down, i believe it's 10%, you can lock into that family price and get the tv when you have the rest of the money. in fact, they should have that sale coming up soon. they usually have them in february, july, and october. that's the only time i shop there. just got my denon/klipsch surround system there last fall...great system, great price!

anyways, good luck and let us know. btw, heads up for the snow tonight and tomorrow...especially all the knuckleheads on the beltline! take care, rick

19. Eric Bass

Eric Bass Second Unit

Hmmm February might work out perfect. I'm moving into the new house the last weekend of Feb. Thanks for the tip. As for the weather, the sleet started coming down a few minutes ago so I'm staying in for the night.