What's new

scare me please! (1 Viewer)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
just returned from san antonio, and...

i watched existenz, shadow of the vampire and jacobs' ladder in a day. i didnt enjoy any one of them. the vampire would be the better movie out of the three, but it was not scarry at all. existenz is NOT a scarry movie, really slow in the middle. i almost fell asleep. i thought it was kinda like gattaca. jacobs ladder? sucks. it wasnt scarry, it wasnt interesting, and slow as hell.

i still have to watch the thing after typing all this.

johnrice, thanks for that take of the changeling. i enjoyed that movie more than the three that i just mentioned.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Felix,

sorry you didn't like eXistenZ. Like I had said, it isn't a conventional "horror" movie, but it is David Cronenberg, who always injects at least an element of horror in everything he does. I find it completely unsettling, if not exactly "scary."

As far as conventional "horror" movies go, probably a couple of my favorites are Sci-Fi/Horror ones. The Thing and Alien. Based on your reaction to eXistenZ, if you haven't seen Alien, you may not find it all that scary. It is more of a slow burn type. While I also really like Aliens, I consider it more of an action movie than a Horror one.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
eXistenZ and JACOB'S LADDER are both huge favorites of mine, and are both excellent films! Cronenberg is my second favorite director, and I love everything he does, and eXistenZ is absolute brilliance! JACOB'S LADDER is an excellent film, that is very saddening. I don't find either film scary though, but they are both excellent in my book. Now, speed it up and check out BLACK CHRISTMAS! :)

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
both existenz and jacob's ladder had unusual story, i think they are brilliant in a way, but they were not entertaining. i always appreciate good story ( thats why i kinda like gattaca ), but really, i want to be entertained as well. both movies confuse viewers about reality. which is real and which is not, fine by me, but they didnt have anything interesting happen. i mean, i wasnt SCARED!

btw i just watched the thing. it was conventional, really, but unfortunately my 17 year old boy ruin the atmosphere. the disc sent by netflix also had a scratch that i had to skip a chapter. otherwise i can see why you guys told me the movie is scary.

btw i am a big alien fan. i have watched four of them many many times.

and justin, i will get black christmas. but if it is not scary...and my wife got bored with it, perhaps next time i am not going to try your recommendation because our taste is different. no offense! thanks

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I don't take any offense from that, but I'm not the one who recommended eXistenZ and JACOB'S LADDER. I admit to liking both of them, but I didn't recommend them, and I don't find them scary. So you haven't tried any of my recommendations yet. :)
After BLACK CHRISTMAS, I would recommend PRINCE OF DARKNESS, THE THING (which you have obviously just watched, and you agree with me there), THE HITCHER, and THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. Those are the only movies to ever scare me, and I'm a big horror fan. Hope you like BLACK CHRISTMAS! :)

Scott_Johnson

Auditioning
I would suggest seeing Deranged(1974) with Roberts Blossom.
This story is loosely based on Ed Gein, and Roberts plays a VERY creepy Ezra Cobb!
It only got a 6.5 on imdb, but I'd say it is much better than that given how unsettling it is.
Scott

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
If you liked The Others,you must check out The Changeling
I just did and it scared the $!*# out of me!!!
Damn! It totally creeped me out, especially when that "thing" chased the woman down the stairs!!!!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Others that made me hover under the blankets:
- The Hitcher...one of THE most suspenseful movies I've ever seen.
- When a Stranger Calls. Too creepy for words!
BTW, I saw a copy of "Black Christmas" today at BB, but it was FULLSCREEN [gag!] so I didn't buy it. Is it available in WIDESCREEN???

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I just saw it, and as well as I can remember, it looked like it was probably shot that way. I didn't notice any obvious signs of P&S.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I own the DVD (of course!), and yes, it was shot that way. There is a laserdisc that has the film in widescreen, but it is matted, and cuts off picture seeing how it was filmed fullframe. Since this classic was shot fullframe, the disc is fine with me. I wouldn't mind being able to check out a matted version though, just to see how the film would look.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
AUDITION by Takashi Miike. This one had me squirming and not many films do. It starts out slow and innocent. Be sure to watch to the end and don't watch any trailers.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
all i can find on ebay is a region 3 version of Audition. Wasn't this supposed to come out in region 1 sometime this summer?

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Audition is now available in the US. Pretty impressive film. Didn't scare me (I'm too jaded, I guess.) but WELL worth seeing.

I may have missed a prior reference but I would recommend Roman Polanski's Repulsion. Atmospherically creepy with a couple of fairly strong scares. Plus the lovely Catherine Deneuve in her youthful glory.

As far as online ratings go, I wouldn't trust them for the horror category. Those of us who love horror films know that the general populace sometimes "doesn't get it" where the genre is concerned and underrate the quality of these movies. Horror is too often considered a second class cinema citizen and some folks mark a movie down just because of the genre.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Bob's comments above have got me wondering. Well, I was wondering about this beforehand, but now seems a good time to post.

Scares.

I'm not scared by horror movies. Oh, I certainly can enjoy creepy films and sit on the edge of my seat during tense moments, and all the rest, but I've never had one keep me awake at night. I've never had one that created any fright that lasted beyond the duration of the movie. I've never had one give me bad dreams - good dreams, yes, but I have a feeling that these dreams I enjoy would be classified as nightmares by most people. I've never jumped at noises in the dark after watching a horror movie.

Am I alone here? Am I jaded or just have a strong mental division between fiction and reality?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A good scary movie used to scare me, but they usually don't any more. I sometimes fall for the audio "jumps" but not usually. The Others, for example, I didn't find the least bit suspenseful or scary. Actually, that goes for most of the others in the thread. On the other hand, I thought eXistenZ was fairly terrifying, and others here don't find it the least bit scary. I think what I find scary is completely different from most others.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I didn't find The Others scary but I sure enjoyed it. However, I didn't find Blair Witch to be scary and I absolutely loathe that movie.

I guess I enjoy horror differently than a lot of people.

Oh, and I have to agree that the horror ratings at IMDB are not worth much. Those who aren't fans of the genre will not give high scores to the real gems out there. It would be like me begin expected to accurately and fairly rate some touchy-feely romance film when all I'm really wanting to do is to claw my eyes out and gobble 'em down.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Glad you said that about Blair Witch, Julie. The thing's success mystifies me. And I just love the plausibility of it all--even though the twits are in mortal danger in the woods at night, they still hold on to that video camera to the very end! I had the disc, but sold it off without ever having taken the shrinkwrap off; saw it on IFC and had no desire ever to see it again.

Julie, you've never commented on it or not, but what do you think of Robert Wise's incomparable The Haunting? Released in 1963, it has never been surpassed by any other cinematic ghost story.

As for The Others, I plan on finally getting around to it tonight. Weather's nice and warm, and I can have all the windows open and the fan on. Would love to screen this film, which I suspect might disappoint me, on my main system's WEGA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks