What's new

scare me please! (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
Lots of great suggestions here, especially the original Haunting(not the comedy remake) and The Changeling...I'd like to throw in Amityville II: The Possession(not exactly a great movie but scary as hell nonetheless) and Candyman(in my opinion, the best horror film of the 90's).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Mothman Prophecies, though critically lambasted, was actually pretty damn creepy; if you have a good 5.1 system, the DVD has a very effective soundtrack that really heightens the experience. I haven't been this creeped out by a movie in 30 years.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
I just saw Blair Witch Project II on TV yesterday, without sound and caption. Still scary at times.
Here's what I recommend you watch with your wife, so she'll be scared to death for a second time (How many life does she have?). Lol.

Actually, it is NOT a scary movie, but more a gross and gore and jumpy movie. And I don't think it's your type of movie.
Try to look for this one at Blockbuster:

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
John Carpenter's The Thing
Event Horizon
Carpenter's In The Mouth Of Madness
Carpenter's Prince of Darkness
The first two have already been mentioned. The other two are some of Carpenter's finest works (it's a shame he hasn't done anything of that caliber recently IMO). Another one I cautiously recommend is Audition. Do a search on imdb under Odishon to get a recap of the story. I'll say this much - the movie seems split in 3 parts to me. The first third is almost what you might see in a light romance movie. The second third becomes a David Lynch film. The last third... well, I was sitting there saying to myself "Did they really just show that???!?!?!". It is a disturbing film that the more I think about the more I can appreciate.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For simple-yet-spooky fun, try House on Haunted Hill.

I wish The Uninvited was on DVD! That's a Paramount title, isn't it?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'll second all the Dario Argento recommendations. And if you like Jennifer Connelly, check out the Argento film Phenomena. Another Argento favorite is Opera.

BTW, I do not understand why so many people find The Others scary. It was a little eery with the dark atmosphere, but the twist reminded me too much of The Sixth Sense, and was easier to figure out in advance for me.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Evil Dead - gory and scary
Evil Dead 2 - scary and funny
Army of Darkness (Evil Dead 3) - funny and silly :)
Suspiria
Opera
The Beyond (this one has some of the best gore I have ever seen)
H.P. Lovecraft's Re-Animator (get the Millenium Edition... 2 discs)
The Frighteners
Bad Taste (Peter Jackson's first film and still his BEST)
:D

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for The Changeling- one of the few movies that absolutely scared the crap out of me when I first saw it. I bought it at Best Buy last winter for $10 or so. It's been years since I have seen the Exorcist 3 but if I remember right it was pretty creepy. I also think the original version of The Shining was pretty unnerving.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
John Carpenter's The Thing
The Shining
Robert Wise's 1961 "The Haunting"
Stir of Echoes
The Others
The Sixth Sense
Alien
Psycho
The Silence Of The Lambs
Jaws
The Exorcist

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
If you wanna see a scary as hell masterpiece, check out the immortal classic, BLACK CHRISTMAS. I won't spoil anything, but the phone calls alone are some of the freakiest things I've ever heard. Also, its one of my top 5 favorite films of all time.

I also think THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT is extremely scary, but I know several people disagree. I could care less, because I think BWP is a new classic without a doubt!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
FYI: The Haunting was released in 1963. Peter, way back on page one, simply typed in haste--producing a typo in the process.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Thanks for pointing that error out, Jack. I don't know why I keep thinking the THE HAUNTING was released 1961. I've fixed it.

I also wish to second the choice of EXORCIST III, a film filled with "creepy" moments.

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
I forgot about Pet Sematary (1989).

Boy did the old mother with the nasty back creep the hell out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks