scare me please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jul 8, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

well i just watched the others, not knowing what kind of a movie it was. it scared me and my wife to death, good movie!

please recommend me another scarry movies!

thanks

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Freddy Got Fingered.

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i didnt ask for a junk comedy.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    It's not on DVD, but the original THE HAUNTING (EDIT: 1963, directed by Robert Wise) is the best horror film ever made. It's broadcast on the TCM channel regularly.

Also look for THE INNOCENTS, CARNIVAL OF SOULS (original version only), THE UNIVITED, and THE SHINING (Stanley Kubrick version).

5. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

The Shining and Halloween are two classics that you probably don't want to watch alone at night!
    Chris

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Add to my list above: ROSEMARY'S BABY and - coming in September - THE TENANT and DON'T LOOK NOW.

7. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    felix_suwarno wrote:

Quote:

please recommend me another scarry movies!

Oh, let's all chime in: "The Haunting!!!" The BMW of ghost stories committed to film. Not yet on DVD, however.
    Others:
    1. Black Sunday (1960)
    2. Black Sabbath (1963)
    3. Baron Blood (1972)
    4. City of the Dead (a.k.a. Horror Hotel) (1960)
    5. Curse of the Werewolf (1961)
    6. I was a Teenage Werewolf (1957) (not on DVD)
    7. Les Yeux sans Visage (a.k.a. The Eyes without a Face) (1959) (stomach-churning, but "arty")
    8. Jacob's Ladder (1990)
    9. The Fly (1986) (may disgust as well)
    10. The Howling (1980)
    11. Alien (1979)
    12. The Night Flier (1997)
    13. The Creeping Flesh (1967)[/list=1]

8. David_Giles

David_Giles Stunt Coordinator

If you liked The Others,you must check out The Changeling [​IMG]

9. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

What Lies Beneath - Harrison Ford & Michelle Pfeiffer
    The Sixth Sense - Bruce Willis
    The Exorcist
    The Shining
    Carrie - End stills scares the hell out of me

I'm know theres others that I can't remember.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Look no further than The Exorcist, and The Changling.
    The Changling may just be THE finest, and most hair raising haunted house thriller ever made!

11. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

An often-overlooked gem: Lady in White--one of the earliest special-edition DVDs.

12. kevin_asai

kevin_asai Stunt Coordinator

The Others.

13. Jonathan

Jonathan Second Unit

Another vote for The Shining. Just be sure to pick up the remastered version.

14. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Try to get your hands on the excellent CURSE OF THE DEMON (1957), coming to DVD in August from Columbia Tristar, and a fine Italian-made ghost story, CASTLE OF BLOOD (1964, a.k.a. "LA DANSE MACABRE"), which will be coming to Region 1 DVD relatively soon, in a super-looking print, from Synapse.
    THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1946), available on DVD from Anchor Bay, is another good bet, as is Fox's DVD edition of THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE (1973), and Elite Entertainment's DVD of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968). Don't forget the top sci-fi chiller INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956) from Republic/Artisan, or THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (1968) from Anchor Bay. If you have a long attention span, give Criterion's DVD of the Japanese ghost story anthology KWAIDAN (1964) a try.
    More to consider: BURN WITCH BURN (1961, not on DVD yet, but available as a "Midnite Movie" title on VHS from MGM), Roman Polanski's REPULSION (1965), CAT PEOPLE (1942), I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1943) and THE LEOPARD MAN (1943). These aren't on legit American DVD yet, but are on VHS, and are aired once in a while on TCM and similar classic movie channels.
    I second the recommendations of THE CHANGELING, THE HAUNTING ('63), THE INNOCENTS, CITY OF THE DEAD/HORROR HOTEL, BLACK SUNDAY ('60), BLACK SABBATH, BARON BLOOD and CARNIVAL OF SOULS ('62).

15. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    OK, that was a bad joke. (Freddy Got Fingered is still a damn scary movie)

See the original Nosferatu made by F.W. Murnou! It's the granddaddy of horror movies (although, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari preceeds Nosferatu, it's not nearly as creepy as this). Bela Lugosi is suave as the vampire in Dracula, but Max Shreck chews up scenery when he's not chewing on someone's neck.

16. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Les Diaboliques (1955) is remarkably frightening. Just don't read anything about it before going in. Watch it very carefully because you'll catch the slightest glimpses of things for only a fraction of a second. You never know if what you see is your imagination or Clouzot playing with you.
    Dario Argento's Suspiria is also really good even if the ending is weak. The cinematography and editing are wonderful but the score is sooo creepy you'll be on the edge or your seat when you're not ducking down into it to avoid the thing behind the couch that's going to grab you. Some truly chilling scenes and a few that will have you grabbing your wife. If she hasn't run out of the room.
    There are a few scenes in Nosferatu that are some of the most horrifying ever filmed if you can truly suspend disbelief for this rather primitive (though revolutionary in its day) effort. Some of the shots are just so unnerving that you'll remember them forever.
    I very much like these two Japanese films. It seems the Japanese are into atmosphere and dread far more than the West is. There is more build, more artistry, and a high Gothic quality to it.
    My most recent acquisition is Kwaidan and it's a marvelous horror film filled with a quiet dread. It is operatic and beautiful yet it's horror is very eastern in a yin kind of way. It is not forceful, it is not brash, it seduces you with opulent sets and an ethereal peace; like the sleeping of the dead. Kwaidan is about sublime nightmares and shades from beyond. I could do without the cheesy voice-over in some places though.
    Onibaba is another Japanese masterpiece that I once saw long ago but remember it being one of the scariest things I had ever seen. That grass! That old woman! It gives me chills just thinking of it.

17. Christopher_J_F

Christopher_J_F Stunt Coordinator

Jacob's Ladder & John Carpenters version of the Thing!

Other intense movies (although in VERY different ways) in case you dont feel like watching a horror movie are:
    -The Vanishing (original)
    -Deterrence

18. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

SESSION 9 was a creepy movie, since everyone else listed my choices already.

19. Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche Stunt Coordinator

Event Horizon

20. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

The Sixth Sense.

Great movie.. just watched it again the other night.

It would seem that it had some influence on "The Others" as well.