What's new

Scaramouche - Widescreen - Since When? (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Over at dVD review that have a new review of the Warner release. I have seen this film many times in revival houses and it has always been 1:33.
Criterion always tries to release everything in the original aspect ratio and their laser of scramouche was full screen. What gives here?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, the dvd has the film in it's OAR. Another example of checking multiple sources before jumping the gun.

Crawdaddy

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I can also confirm that it's presented in its correct ratio (which I think is 1.37:1, so it's probably 1.33:1, in fact, for home video), and in a beautiful print to boot, lovingly suggesting the three-strip original.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Yep, it's OAR non wide and yep, it's beautiful and I am very pleasantly surprised.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Yikes! Thanks for the information. Did dvdreview even bother to look at the disc. they mention the widescreen transfer IN the review and in the listing of features at the top they list a 1.85 to 1 transfer!!

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Not only did Guido at dvdreview say it's anamorphic 1.85:1, but he also says the print quality isn't so good, which doesn't match everyone else's take on it. So what in the world was he looking at?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Maybe, he had a time lapse and thought he was watching the LD instead of this newly released dvd?????;) However, even the LD was in it's OAR and not widescreen. Perhaps, he thought he was watching "Knights of the Round Table", now I have to play my dvd of that title to confirm the video quality of it since I know that title's is widescreen.:)

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from dvdreview

Not Rated · 16x9 / Fullframe · 1.85:1
Audio: E - DD Mono / F - DD Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Extras: Featurette, Commercial, Trailer, Screen Swordfights Essay

Warner Home Video is presenting ’Scaramouche’ in a widescreen presentation on this DVD in a fullframe transfer that restores the movie’s original aspect ratio

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks