1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Scanner Not Recognised By XP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Graham, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

I bought a CanoScan D1250U2F scanner and I can't get XP (home edition) to recognize it. I have tried the add new hardware function without success. I even tried unplugging my canon printer and hooking the scanner to it's usb connection. I finally gave up and called Canon technical support but they too were unable to get it installed. So now I turn to you the experts to help me through this.

2. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

I have a Canon 670U, and I beleive it's the cheap cousin of the 1250, there's no problem with XP, I have used it with laptop and desktop, both XP Home and Prof. The only thing was just installing the Canon drivers, which is staight forward and vanilla.

3. Kevin_Graham

The instructions said to let the add hardware wizard install the scanner first. I can't get past this first step.[​IMG]

4. Steve_Ch

Hmmm, I just downloaded drivers from Canon a few days ago (for my laptop that did not have a CD drive hooked on at the moment). There were very detailed step by step instructions. As I recall, you have to run the .exe first, which will in turn unzip everything into a directory in C: and then when the hardware wizard comes up, just point it to the driver directory. Did you even get a new hardware detect when you plug the scanner in ?

5. Kevin_Graham

Nope.

6. Steve_Ch

That's not good [​IMG] . I think you did check the USB port(s), the next question is have you try the scanner on another machine, just to make sure the thing isn't OTL ?

7. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I had a similar problem with my HP scanner, and what I had to do was go to:

My Computer (right click)
    Properties
    Hardware
    Device Manager
    USB controllers (double click)
    USB Root Hub (right click)
    Properties
    Power Management

and then uncheck the box that says "Allow computer to turn off device to save power."

I also needed a software patch from HP since I had changed to XP. Between the two things, it is now working.

8. Kevin_Graham

Brian - You are the man![​IMG] It works like a charm now. [​IMG]