Scan Lines on Mitsu 65

Discussion in 'Displays' started by VictorJDeP, Sep 6, 2003.

1. VictorJDeP

VictorJDeP Extra

Have a Mitsu 65511 and am now having visible scan lines during picture fade-in/fade-out and quick movement. Most of the visible lines occur in the center portion of the screen.

This is while viewing non-HD cable signal through Scientific Atlanta cable box. My sharpness settings are not high, and I do not have any sort of picture filter on when these lines are seen. I have tested the image out with filters, and it doesn't really change. Lines are not as visible during DVD playback or HD playback. Actually, lines are non-existent in HD playback.

I'm concerned about this because I don't remember seeing so many scan lines present when I first got the set about three months ago.

What could be causing this? Thanks for any input.

2. Hugo

Hugo Stunt Coordinator

Hi Victor, are your DVD player and HD source connected to the same input as your no-HD material input? If not, maybe there's a problem with your no-HD material input on your TV, try switching it to another input on the back of your TV. Also, try switching to s-video, composite and component to see which input is failing (if that's the case). Let me know, so I can think of another reason. Hope that helps.

Hugo

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Are you seeing scanlines or combing? Seeing scanlines on a 480 signal on the mits is an indication of really good focus.

Seeing combing (scanline artifacts on movement) would probably mean the TV is in film mode and not video mode. Or possible its displaying 960i instead of 480p. Check your video settings and the menu.

Hope this helps.

4. VictorJDeP

VictorJDeP Extra

I will try both and get back to you.
    Thanks.

BTW, I noticed the scan lines quite a bit while watching the deleted/extended scenes on THE CORE DVD. Now I'm really starting to get worried because I never saw them before on my DVD input, which is 480p. Of course, the picture quality on the deleted scenes portion is unclean negative, so it's a little difficult to know.

Thinking about it, there is a good possibility that the Cable TV input is set to "Film Mode."

Will see.
    -Victor

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

And the extras on your DVD might be video (30 fps) and not film.

[​IMG]

Do pay attention though because what you might be seeing are interlacing artifacts. Itd be good to remember what they look like.

6. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I have the 55311 and I think what you are seeing is combing on 480i upconverted material. I had the same reaction you did my first week or two, but I quit looking for it now [​IMG]

Matt