What's new

scaling (1 Viewer)

Curtis T

Grip
Quick question :

Ideally , would you want your display to be either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (or as very close to either as possible) so that no scaling would have to be done at all ? (other than having 720p upconverted to 1080i if display is 1920x1080 or 1080i being downconverted to 720p if display is 1280x720)

A lot of displays have non-standard resolutions that are in between 1280x720 and 1920x1080. Why is that and why aren't they EXACTLY 1280x720 or 1920x1080 ? Which displays out there have exactly one of these resolutions ?

What I'm really trying to figure out is scaling something that should avoided as much as possible or is it always necessary to at least some small extent ?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ideally, you want to view an image at the highest possible resolution that is correctly resolved, and ideally this resolution will be a whole number multiple of the original resolution.

Curtis T

Grip
I'm not quite sure that I follow.

You mention "view an image at the highest possible resolution" but in terms of HD aren't there only 2 "flavors" of resolution : 720p and 1080i. (excluding 1080p for now)

Wouldn't you want the display to exactly have vertical resolution of 720p or 1080i.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
you want to scale up an image infinitely.

but since inifinite resolution is not available in any projevtor i know of ;), then you want to settle for the highest possible resolution, hopefully at a multiple of the original source resolution.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Right two flavors right now... Some will probably broadcast ED even.. Some shows / netowrks do 720p and some do 1080i, so scaling is a fact of life, and will be for a looong time. No way to avoid it really.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Curtis, I agree with you. I would want a set only that does both resolutions, or that does an actual HDTV resolution. I avoided the odd nnn x 768 or mmm x 788 type offerings.

I work with graphics. Scaling always involves alteration of the original image. This is usually less harmful when going from higher to lower, but still exists.

Not to mention, it involves massive calculations in the set itself. Most of the oddball resolution sets I have watched, have seemed to display more pixelation than the "purer" resolution sets. This is just what I have observed. It is not proven double-blind scientific fact/study.

These sets often look good, but my position was, why not just use some approved HD resolution, forgawdssake?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Maybe Elinor.. I just find the actual resolution of the fixed pixel panel to only be a small part of the displays image it delivers.

Post back as find more tid bits or examples of your thinking on it please. Always an interesting read for sure.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You'd want a display to match the native resolution of the source, or be a whole-number multiple of that resolution, ideally. This isn't so realistic right now for scaling UP HD material, but SD material for instance looks a lot better scaled up to HD resolutions, was my point.

Curtis T

Grip

I agree with this. There are many other factors within a display that need to be considered. Even tough a display's resolution could be an "oddball" one it still might be deliver better quality because it is better in other areas.

But I was just trying to approach this from a purely theoretical (not practical) point of view. Also, I have not taken into account the quality of the scaler itself.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I a theoretical world, 1:1 pixel mapping (resolution in matches resolution out) would be the ideal.

However, reality is a whole other ball of wax.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks