Scaling on Toshiba SD3800?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Hay, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Josh Hay

Josh Hay Auditioning

I'm looking for a new progressive DVD player to go with my (yet unpurchased) Panasonic PT47WX42. My understanding is that the TV locks into full mode, and as such you need/want a DVD player that does scaling.

I've looked at the Panasonic RP62 and RP82, but those don't seem to fit the bill. The 62 doesn't scale, and the 82 might scale, but it looks like probably not. Also, the 62 doesn't have audio coax out, which is important to me.

I currently have a Toshiba 2109, which I have been nothing but happy with for over two years. The Toshiba SD3800 looks like a good player to me (albeit possibly with the Chroma Bug), but does anyone know if it does scaling? Or, are there any other players that would fit the bill?

Thanks!

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

The 2002 PT-47's do NOT lock into Full mode with 480p input.

3. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

Check the thread on the RP82 - I called Panasonic and they said the player does scale.

4. HankS

HankS Auditioning

The Panasonic RP82 does not scale, that's what all the moans have been about from folks who now have it in their hands. You can't trust Panny player descriptions or reps for correct info.

I just got the Tosh SD3800, and it does scale, very nicely although in limited increments. The scaling appears to be aspect scaling as there is no stretching or distortion. Fine unit it tis too! NO chroma bug, Digital Picture Viewer (which I haven't tried yet) and great output.

Regards,
    Hank