What's new

scaling dvd players and the 50h81 (1 Viewer)

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
I am 'investing" into a toshiba 50H81, and looking into a progressive scan dvd player. Is there a need for a dvd player that will do scaling?
The players I am looking at are :
Malata dvd-n996
skyworth dvd-1050p
panny dvd-rp56
I think all three are great deals (if you can get one)for your money.
Don't need a player with built in digital decoder, but like the skyworth and panny due to the sage chip. I know the panny does not do scaling, and I would like to know if I need it with the 50h81? From what I read, it looks like I don't need it.

Mikey Ber

Stunt Coordinator
also looking at the JVC XV-S60BK. Can anyne tell me what chip is us in this one? Genesis? sage? please help!

Sean M

Stunt Coordinator
I'd probably go with the Panny. It's got the Sage/Faroudja chip, no chroma bug and should have fewer problems than the Malata or Skyworth. You might want to check out the DVD Hardware section of www.avsforum.com for all the specifics on which chips are in which players, or see the Progressive DVD player shoot-out over at Secrets of Home Theater at Link Removed Sorry I can't give you more specifics.
------------------
"Experience is the one thing you can't get for nothing." - Oscar Wilde

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
No, you do not need scaling with the 50H81 as the TV still allows you to change the screen mode with a 480p input. The RP56 would be a good match. I really like the Toshiba SD3750/4700/5700 too, but they do have the chroma bug.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Han

Second Unit
Maybe what Mikey is saying is, does something like an RP91's scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs look better than the Toshiba 50H81's TW2 zoom mode?
I don't have enough exposure to both at the same time to make a call. Say there was no difference in quality, then what you'd gain with the RP91 would be more "automatic-ness" in the scaling over using the TV's zoom.
From what I saw watching Con Air, a pretty good non-anamorphic transfer, I sometimes forgot that it was non-anamorphic on my 50H81. The quality is about the same as a softer but still good anamorphic transfer like Glory.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
FWIW, I have the 40H80 (previous year model), and the zoom found in the Toshiba SD-3750 is far superior to the different viewing modes on the TV. I expect your TV does a better job, but you should still check it out...
Martin.
------------------
DVD Collection

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
The RP91 definitely does a nicer job, but is there really enough non-anamorphic material out there to make this a deciding factor?
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks