scaling/deinterlacing

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Curtis T, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Curtis T

Curtis T Extra

As a general rule , it is better to use the DVD player's scaling/deinterlacing capabilities or use the display's scaler/deinterlacer ?? I suppose it depends on the type of processor. (better ones like Faroujda)

Also, can you mix and match ? For example , let's say the player has HDMI ouptut and can upconvert to 720p. Can you let the player do the deinterlacing and let the display do the scaling ? Or vice-versa ? Let the player do the scaling and the display the deinterlacing ?

When you output over HDMI do you have the option of selecting 480i,480p,720p,1080i ??

2. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

my understanding of at least some of these things are as follows... I have a Zenith DVB318. I will use it as our example piece. I can do the following things with it:

Have the TV Scale/Deinterlace Everything: I hook up Via S-Video (other units you can hook up via component and not turn progressive scan on, can't do that with the 318)

Have the TV Scale/Player Deinterlace: This is what you would be doing if you have a Progressive Scan DVD player hooked up via component, with progressive scan turned on. Since I have an upconversion player, I also make sure that upconversion is either turned off, or set to 480p mode (depending on how the settings on the player look)

Have the player do everything: Use an upconverting DVD player, and turn on both Progressive Scan and upconversion, and have the upconversion mode set to 720p or 1080i, whichever is the native resolution of the DVD player.

I don't own anything with HDMI, so again I go to the example of the DVB-318, with DVI. It can output 480p, 720p or 1080i over DVI. So I am sure you would have all three of those options for output on an upconverting player with HDMI output. The 318 does not output 480i over component, so that may be why it doesn't output it over DVI. Some others might.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

The general rule is that you should use the best video processing possible.

the general rule is that there is no general rule to know whether TVs, sources, or standalone processors have the best processing.

Specific processors will vary in quality, regardless of where they are placed, in a source, in a display, or standalone, etc.

The final general rule of course, to figure all this out: test and use whichever is better.