Scaler capability add on for Sony and Toshiba dvd players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Len Cheong, Sep 2, 2001.

1. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

A company called MSB Technology can upgrade certain DVD players to add progressive (480p to 1200p) as well as scaling capability. So far, if you have the Sony 7000 or 7700, and a couple of Toshiba models, you can do this for about $895. The scaling has several modes, enabling you to watch nonanamorphic movies in a pseudo anamorphic mode. It also allows you to watch anamorphic films in the correct ratio if you have a 4:3 display (i.e. nonstretched).
    I read this in the latest Widescreen magazine. Has anybody tried this or dealt with this company? I'm wanting to add this upgrade to my Sony 7000 since it still is a pretty good player.

2. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Len:
    They modified my Sony 7700. In terms of dealing with MSB Tech. They are very professional and reputable company who are respected in the industry. So don't think twice about having anything modified by them....
    As far the cinematrix upgrade there was a ton of discussion about a year ago at www.avsforum.com. Search their archives under "audio/video improvement." It was the Holy grail of DVD solutions. Here's my take on it:
    High Points:
    1) Terrific picture. 3-D, near HD quality running at 540P, which my Mits upconverts to 1080i. Almost no visible shimmering, noise or grain...again it depends on the qaulity of the disc, but terrific picture.
    2) The ability to upconvert higher on the progressive scale. So, someone like myself, who is planning a front projection purchase doesn't need to upgrade my player.
    3)Plug and play option vs HTPC....so easy to use.
    You make the call:
    1) The ability to scale is a so-so feature. Once you scale a non-widescreen title you add noise, shimmering etc, everything you bought the player for to begin with is gone. I have not used this feature very much. I wasn't happy with the outcome.
    2)You will see some combing (black lines) show up periodically/briefly (one second)in a few animated or computer generated/animated titles. I merely put the knob back to 480P output and that seems to take care of it. For me it's a small problem (and I have a 4 yo, so we watch a lot of cartoons).
    I realize this is brief, but did want to respond. You can e-mail me and I'd be happy to give you my number to call to discuss in more detail. I'm just shocked more folks on this forum aren't interested in this upgrade.
    Ron

3. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Hey Ron, thanks for the reply. Your answer was succinct and convincing enough. The reason I wanted to keep my 7000 instead of going for a progressive player is that it is still considered to be a reference player (e.g. good black levels). However, the picture is already soft compared to some progressive players out there. I use an ISCAN v.1 now but I know that an upgrade like this would make the image less soft and like you said "3d." I also wanted to get an HTPC but this makes it "plug and play" but with the HTPC resolutions. Good to know they are also reputable.