Scale to 540p

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Schucher, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

If i wanna build an HTPC so i can scale DVDs to 540p for my Toshiba RPTV, what all am i going to need to do this? All i wanna use this machine for is this scaling process... Just DVD to 540.. Thanx for ANY input on this..

2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    You might want to go check out the HTPC forum over at www.avsforum.com - You'll find more info than you ever wanted over there.
    I run a HTPC to scale my DVD's to 1440x480p. The reason for this, is that 1440 is exactly 2X the horizontal source resolution of 720. I keep the vertical the same (480). The benifit of doing this, is that you avoid any scaling errors you get when using non-whole multiples of the source. For example, 540p looks worse than 480p from DVD, because not every pixel in the original source gets represented - You're only adding 60 more lines - Which is 1 out of every 8 source pixels. This produces scaling errors, which are most noticeable on resolution charts, but also in areas of fine detail.
    Anyway - I just thought I'd throw that at ya.
    Basically, what you'll need to connect your HTPC to your set is either a VGA->5BNC cable (if your set supports RGBHV), or a VGA->component transcoder to adapt the RGB signal from your video card to your set's component input.
    You'll also need a software program called PowerStrip, which will force your video card into acceptable HDTV resolutions/timings.
    Check out that forum, and you'll soon have all your answers [​IMG]
    Good luck,
    -Ryan Dinan

3. Michael St. Clair

Ryan,

Maybe:

1) He has one of the previous generation Tosh 4:3 RPTVs that squeeze 1080i and 540p, but don't squeeze 480p at all, making you use downconversion

OR

2) He has one of this years Tosh sets (either 4:3 or 16:9) that scale 480p to 540p and he wants to see if a PC would do the scaling better than the set does

4. RyanDinan

Michael,

Yeah, Id thought about that after I posted - But I guess if either of those situations are the case, the info "still applies". 540p doesn't look bad - plus he can scale the horizontal resolution, which makes the biggest difference. 1440x540p is actually a nice alternative to 1440x480p..

-Ryan Dinan

5. Daniel Richey

Daniel Richey Auditioning

can you display 1440 x 480p on any monitor that does 480p and 1080i? Even tube TVs that can't display the full 1920 vertical resolution lines? What do i need to look for in a tv to make sure it can suppor 1440 x 480p? Would you be able to do it with, say, a sony 34" xbr2?

6. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Ive got the 65HX81 (this years model)..It scales to 540p

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Any TV or monitor can do 1440 x 480. The only significance of the inability to display 1920 or 1440 dots in a row is that individual fine details will be in the right places but a little wider than they should be, thus smearing into each other.
    For monitors with LCD or other fixed pixels, or for monitors with additional digital processing which includes all upconversion to 1080i, the incoming analog video is re-split into pixels causing the finest details to be displaced slighly from their rightful places horizontally plus some softening.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. RyanDinan

Daniel,

Yes - If your set can only do 1080i, you can do 540p, and even 480P - Ill explain..

With Powerstrip, you can specify the total number of scanlines, and the active number of scanlines (the ones you actually SEE).

The 1440x480p resolution I'm running, is actually within a 540p/1080i scanrate (33.75kHz). But I've specified the active number of scanlines to only 480. The rest of the scanlies are pushed into the blanking interval. So as you can see, it IS possible to run a 480p resolution on sets that only run at a 540p/1080i scanrate.

The horizontal resolution (1440) is really not important - You can make that number whatever you want, and your set will display what it can (limited by it's dot pitch, video amplifier, circuitry, etc). But I chose 1440 - Double the DVD resolution of 720, so that there are no internal scaling errors by the video card. In fact, my Sony 53HS10 can't do 1440...It can only really resolve around 1100-1280 at the MAX. But this doesn't mean 1-pixel wide details won't go undisplayed - It's just if you have several small details close to each other in a row, that they'll tend to get blended together...

By oversampleing the horizontal resolution, you help to avoid aliasing, and provied a smoother, more detailed image.

-Ryan Dinan