What's new

SBS-01 or Ascend speaker setup? (1 Viewer)

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a new speaker setup (haven't chosen a receiver yet either).

If you had to choose between the SVS SBS-01 system or Ascend (2x CBM-170, 2x HTM-200, CMT 340c), which would you choose? I know the Ascend's wouldn't come with a subwoofer, but since I live in a townhouse that shares walls with neighbors I'm thinking I might not want too much bass.

Also, it says the SBS-01s are shipping in late december. Does anyone know if this is just a guestimate or very likely? And would I be guaranteed a shipment or have the possibility of waiting months?

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
Woops, meant to put this in the speakers section. But I guess it would be a good time to ask what receiver would work well for these in the 500-600 price range.

Jacob C

Second Unit
You can order the Ascends with an HSU sub or even get a SVS to go with it if you prefer. Though I have not heard the SVS system my somewhat educated guess is that the Ascends would be considerably better but would also cost you quite a bit more by the time you added a sub. If you went with ascend I would recommend going with the 170's for the surrounds. They are not much more money. With a sub the ascends put you in the 1200+ range so thats quite a bit more than the SVS. That said. I hear the SVS system is good. I'm getting ascends as soon as my car stops breaking. I have not decided on the sub yet. It keeps eating all of my speaker money!

John Menoni

Stunt Coordinator
I have the M&K 150 system. It is an amazing sounding system but I have been informed that the Ascends would sound very similar for a fraction of the price. I don't know how true it is but if you could replicate the sound of the M&K THX speakers for that price, I would give it a shot. Don't go with the HSU sub. Just get the SVS seperately. The sub is the most important speaker. Whatever you decide will ulitmately be great.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I am actually leaning toward HSU's new VT3 HO that thing is going to be amazing if the rumors are true. There are people that swear by HSU, people that swear by SVS, and a few that love Rocket subs. Listen to what they all have to say then try to decide from there. If you can't decide order 2 different subs and eat the shipping to send one back. I know HSU and SVS have trial periods. Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your money but remeber that everyone on here has their opinions for a reason. They are happy with their experience with X brand and think you will be too.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
With being concerned about bass with neighbors, you could get the Ascends and add a 10" Dayton sub to give a bit more to the bottom end and be within $10 of the SVS package price.

Jacob C

Second Unit
The new 340s SE (out next month) are supposed to be good down to 40Hz. I would still want a sub but it could be an option if you don't want to go bass crazy. I have never heard a Dayton sub but it might be something to fill things out a little. You could always get a better sub later if you move or something. Thumbs up to Chris for good practical advice here. It would be terrible to get a nice sub and never be able to turn it up at all.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Noah,

The SBS should still begin shipping in late Dec. We are expecting the containers to arrive a few days after xmas. SVS is known for hitting "target" dates with very little variance...this will be no exception..:) If you have any other questions about our products---don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]

Tom V.
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks