SBC is desperate.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Nick, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Nick

Nick Second Unit

My parents has Land line phone with SBC and they also have VOIP which they mainly use for long distance to Australia, France and Canada and within the states. I just want them to have a reliable phone just in case of 911 so she decided to keep SBC and keep everything pretty much flat.

Couple months ago SBC start charging $2.00 extra and I just thought may be it was the taxes. Someone at work also complaining that SBC start charging him for something that he didn't order, it turned out to be the same charges on my parents phone bill. He called them up and he was for calling plan charges. They said he didn't return the card back to them so to let them know that he didn't want it. By not returning the card back means you're accepting the plan according to SBC rep.
    Samething happen to my parents. I just got off the phone with them and have them remove that feature.

Isn't there a law to protect this kind of practice ?
    charging you without your authorization.
    I know they're loosing a lot of customer to VOIP and Cell phones. This marketing scheme that they're using is very low if you ask me.
    Once my VOIP offer 911 I'll drop them like a hot potato.

2. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

The same thing happened to me... It really doesn't have anything to do with SBC since they are now completely owned by AT&T, which instituted the changes to bring SBC inline with their policies.

In my case, SBC offered long distance for a certain higher cent per minute charge in lieu of a monthly charge. AT&T does not, so I started getting charged about $2 more a month. I called SBC/AT&T and killed my long distance service (I use a pre-paid calling card, I had the service to get a price break on my DSL) They actually said that they charge to disconnect long distance service but would waive the charge since I hadn't noticed the notice they sent back in July's bill (I guess I should start reading the bills more closely... I pay electronically, so I don't often look at the bills all that closely... especially if the amount is the same as the last bill).

3. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    SBC owns AT&T, not vice-versa.

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Hahaha....[​IMG] That does sound desparate.

I am an analyst at the California Public Utilities Commission and surcharges (we don't call them "taxes" here, of course, for political reasons), in general, are dropping as of January 1, 2006. You can see the surcharges
    here.

If you want to file a complain against a telecommunications company, you can call 1-800-755-1447.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Yes, but they decided to call themselves AT&T (and go back to the stock symbol T, update the globe logo, etc.)

6. Nick

Nick Second Unit

Well, I hope they didn't charge me the disconection fee.
    That would piss me off. If that's the case I'll cancel my account from them completely.
    I have plenty of old cell phone that I don't use. I can put them at every corner in case of emergency call.

If they can get away with this, other companies are gonna start doing the samething and we're gonna have to spend all day going through all our mails and mail back the NO I DON'T WANT YOUR DAMN SERVICE CARDS.