SBC DSL customers: What's up with SBC/Yahoo DSL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EdR, Feb 1, 2003.

1. EdR

EdR Second Unit

I've been an SBC (via PacBell in california) DSL customer for a few years. Lately I've ben getting emails (spam) and snail-mail asking me to 'upgrade' for free to SBC/Yahoo.

They claim that everything about your account will stay the same, same pricing, same email adress, etc. In addition, they say you will get more features...for instance (in a mailerI got today):

SBC/Yahoo web page
    25MB email storage
    10 free amila accounts
    Listings in Yhaoo classifieds

The list goes on.

But I'm skeptical of this. If everything stays the same, plus I get these new features, why even ask me? Why ask me to apply for a free upgrade? They must be getting something out of the deal, or they wouldn't keep bombarding me with spam about it. Has anyone done this 'upgrade'? Can you shed some light as to what's up with it? Is my skepticism justified?

Thanks.

2. Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant Second Unit

I was recently a Directv dsl user till they went bust and we moved over to SBC Yahoo DSl. The service is fine, very fast and reliable.

Now all this...

Useless... Its an AOL wanna be interface and very gawdy and very useless...

In fact, I have uninstalled all of the components except for the Enet connecter.

Dont waste your time and upgrade, I would consider it a downgrade myself.

-- Matt

3. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I went ahead and took the "upgrade". Nothing really changes. You get to choose which software you want to download. I think one of them integrates with your web browser, but as long as you do not use that one you don't end up with any AOL-like interface or anything of that sort. The extra online storage might be useful. I just use it to host digital pictures I want to show people. Oh yeah, you also get 10 e-mail accounts instead of 3 (or whatever it was before). Your POP and SMTP servers also change.

Basically, just do the upgrade and skip the software downloads. This way you get the extra e-mail and online storage, but don't have to put up with the custom browser.

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I think what you're seeing is interest from Yahoo in getting you as a subscriber. They likely derive benefits from having more customers wholesaled from SBC, even if they were previously SBC customers.

5. EdR

EdR Second Unit

Well, I wouldn't mind helping out Yahoo, but I already have most of those features through a webhosting company (in fact I have more than 10x the web space, unlimited emails, FTP, etc). So I'm not really interested in the features they offer, and I don't relish changing my email settings (thanks Aaron, that's exactly the kind of info I was wondering about).

Hmm...I'm still mulling it over, but thanks for the repsonses, it helps sort out fact from marketing.

6. MikeM

MikeM Screenwriter

Once nice feature of the upgrade is the option of checking your email via the web from anywhere. I'm still under the "Pacbell.net" domain, and there's no way to check your email from the web.

The irony is that they are going to phase out ALL pacbell domains and move everything to their "sbc" domains. So if you have an email that ends in "Pacbell.net", "Pacbell.com", etc., it will be changed eventually anyway.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I bought SBC DSL when it first came to Tulsa and have been mostly satisfied. They offered it to me at 39.99 a month and due to some lawyer screw ups on their part and their deals, I'm able to maintain my rate which I'm afraid will change thru some loophole if this "new deal". Frankly what they are offering doesn't appeal to me.

I'm also still DHCP as opposed to the stuff they are using now. Why change something that works fine? [​IMG]