Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Sayonara Blu-ray Review
sayonaratop-1024x437.jpg

A measuredly-paced look at interracial romantic entanglements amid the bigotry of the post-World War II era in Japan, Joshua Logan’s Sayonara captures both the comic and tragic sides of the story spread among six or seven major characters in a beautifully filmed and thoughtfully mounted production.

[review]

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
George R. Groves won his first Academy Award for the sound of "Sayonara"; and I am very glad to read that the Audio has received a 5/5 for this TT edition. Mr. Groves second win was for "My Fair Lady". All in all, he received 7 nominations within a single decade. For so many reasons, I can't wait to purchase "Sayonara"; with one being that I will finally get to experience the true sound design from one of our greats. The BD availability of Mr. Groves other nominated works are "The Music Man", "The Great Race", "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"; while leaving us to wait on "The Nun's Story" and "Sunrise at Campobello". Thanks TT for further closing another major gap within our BD movie collections; which, inclusive, is that of another Marlon Brando nomination, as well.

Last edited:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I watched it earlier this year on TCM and was puzzled by some plot developments that didn't make sense to me, so I went and read the book and it clarified quite a bit for me. The movie sped things up a good deal in a way that left out important details. I like the movie but I would have liked it more if it had been closer to the book, especially the ending. Also, I found Brando's hillbilly accent thoroughly annoying. His character was a career military man, a West Point graduate, and the son of a top general. He wouldn't have talked like a good ol' boy. As for Miiko Taka, this was her first acting job. She'd been discovered at a travel agency in L.A. Given that, I thought she was quite good. I can't cite a source, but I believe she and Brando were romantically involved during the film, which would have helped her performance. In the novel, however, her character didn't speak any English, which makes more sense for a character whose father and brother died in the war.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Does anyone else think it’s odd that there are stereo tracks for the feature but mono tracks for the isolated score?

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Does anyone else think it’s odd that there are stereo tracks for the feature but mono tracks for the isolated score?

Yes it is odd but probably just means that they have lost a lot of the elements. This is already indicated by the fact that we are not getting the original 4-track magnetic or something derived from that, but instead are getting what seems like a Dolby Surround 2.0 version for the main soundtrack.

It is also not clear to me that an 8-perf Technirama element was used for this Blu-ray. It certainly is not Spartacus quality for example.

Sayonara was originally a Warners release but the control has bounced around quite a bit over the years. We are probably lucky to have what we have.

On this reviewing, I was very impressed by the subtlety and thoughtfulness of the characterizations and dialogue as well as the beauty of the cinematography. This is a great film that has been somewhat forgotten I am afraid. 1957 was a great year, with The Bridge on the River Kwai and Peyton Place also coming then.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

Not odd at all. Jack L. Warner was famous or should I say infamous for recording over the stereo recordings of the WB scores. That's why there are no stereo release of The Silver Chalace, the complete The Nun's Story and Land of the Pharoahs among others.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Yes it is odd but probably just means that they have lost a lot of the elements. This is already indicated by the fact that we are not getting the original 4-track magnetic or something derived from that, but instead are getting what seems like a Dolby Surround 2.0 version for the main soundtrack.

It is also not clear to me that an 8-perf Technirama element was used for this Blu-ray. It certainly is not Spartacus quality for example.

Sayonara was originally a Warners release but the control has bounced around quite a bit over the years. We are probably lucky to have what we have.

On this reviewing, I was very impressed by the subtlety and thoughtfulness of the characterizations and dialogue as well as the beauty of the cinematography. This is a great film that has been somewhat forgotten I am afraid. 1957 was a great year, with The Bridge on the River Kwai and Peyton Place also coming then.

The stereo music tracks for the film are held by WB. They refused access to them for our release.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The stereo music tracks for the film are held by WB. They refused access to them for our release.

If the stereo tracks do exist it is strange that they didn't allow access. Wonder if this has anything to do with the song? I would also like to believe that Intrada or LLL Records will one day release the complete score ...or at least the original lp program.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
If the stereo tracks do exist it is strange that they didn't allow access. Wonder if this has anything to do with the song? I would also like to believe that Intrada or LLL Records will one day release the complete score ...or at least the original lp program.
Absolutely nothing strange about non-co-operation from WB. It is their raison detre - soundtrack labels are of course interested in the music too, and we planned a joint isolated score and release on LLL similar to Doctor Dolittle, but WB's hostility and greed put a stop to it. LLL may revisit the music in future, but it's a very long shot.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Absolutely nothing strange about non-co-operation from WB. It is their raison detre - soundtrack labels are of course interested in the music too, and we planned a joint isolated score and release on LLL similar to Doctor Dolittle, but WB's hostility and greed put a stop to it. LLL may revisit the music in future, but it's a very long shot.

Too bad. It's such a lovely score. Hope that LLL gets a chance to revisit.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
greed sums it up totally and the fact WB could not care in helping a small label trying to promote archive films..if they had wanted they could have helped ....its the way of the world today I guess..

Steven Ward

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Everything is outstanding in this long-awaited As mentioned here earlier, this magnificent film has had such a rough history since it's THEATRICAL release; it should have a CD Soundtrack release , as well! I still have the original soundtrack album (1957) from RCA-- I believe it was one of the first movie soundtracks released in STEREO (!?). It's a beautiful, moving score by Franz Waxman and at the top of that composers later credos (along with 1962's "TARAS BULBA"). It is quite sad that WB and others (FOX!) have been so non-co-operative when it concerns Cinema Preservation. "SAYONARA'' is one of Brando's very best characters on screen, and by 1957 he was just getting warmed up as he entered what would be the BEST period of his career --- finally climbing out of those depressing Kazan-titles that film-critics praised at the time of their release--which has really been a 'tire iron' thrown at him when reflecting ANY films/roles that followed post- 1957, until that 'big gangster- comeback' of 1972. "SAYONARA" I believe, is one of the best examples of HOLLYWOOD film-making; cresting the wave in the late 50's with all it's wide-screen /Technicolor, stereo, and Theatre Showmanship-glory, all combined to present the American Cinemas' most entertaining era. This Blu-Ray release finally brings "SAYONARA" back to the front line, and if you like the film's ingredients- and if you like Brando especially, you will love this addition to your collection, thanks to TWILIGHT TIME--and since THEY are the BEST at what they do, this DVD release , in my opinion, could not be any better.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Saw this Blu ray last night

My understanding is that this comes from an 8 perf technirama IP

As competent as it looks ( and it looks great ) I can’t help but wonder how astounding it could have been if there was a whole bunch of money to go that extra step

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks