Saying Hi with a side dish of a rant lol.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim-E, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Tim-E

Tim-E Auditioning

Hi everyone I am new here. This is my second post. Figure I may as well say hi.

I will throw in a rant too lol, though I am not a complainer type, figure you may find this amusing.

In my family we have a curse, anytime someone buys something there is always a problem with it or something else goes. Example last year I bought a new digital camera and right after that my washing machine died.

Well true to the "family curse" it happened again. A week and a half ago I took possesion of my new Hitachi 46F500 RPTV. Works great. A week to the day on Monday my satellite dish receiver began to lose its signal. Every few minutes the green light would turn to red, signal would drop from high 90's to 10 or so and I would lose my picture. It would only be out for a second at most but still annoying none the less.

I called my provider on Tuesday and he says to reset the box, I did to no effect. Then says he can send out a tech IN A WEEK AND A HALF.

I say no thanks, I will wait and see if the problem goes away. It did get better, but then today it's back and much worse. I am losing my signal every 10 seconds.

I called my provider again (Starchoice) and I got a great service tech this time who has put me on an "emergency" tech visit. So within 24-48 hours someone will be here to fix it....hopefully.

Talk about annoying though, buy a new tv and cant watch it lol. For two years I have been with Starchoice and never had a problem. I have a few DVD's I have watched over and over. Suffice to say I am not pleased lol.

So I am relegated to surfing the net to pass the time. Spent the better part of the day here reading posts and jumping back to my forum every once and a while.

Anyway thats my introduction. lol

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

3. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Welcome to the HTF.....
    [​IMG]
    On your family curse, let me suggest a change in attitude about that stuff.....
    Several years ago, a lady loaned me a book...titled I think "You Get What You Say"... and it changed the way I looked at things.........
    I work with persons all the time who always say..."I knew I'd scr** that up" or "if it can happen, it'll happen to me" or some such prophecy type statement and I always will say... watch it... you'll get what you say. Believing that will change your attitude and possibly change the attitudes around you.
    When something is bought, then something else will break is simply two seperate things........ unless we do attach some significance to them which in your case, you and your family does........... Personally, that belief would seem to make us afraid to do much at all....
    I'm trying not to sound too condescending here, just trying to lighten your load....... and I will close in listing a couple of "writings" that I hope will help you look at things a little more positively....

"my very chains and I grew friends, so much a long communion tends, to make us what we are, even I regained my freedom with a sigh"

"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever as I move...."

Peace bro..... and again.... welcome to HTF. We're all full of advice here.... can you tell...

[​IMG]

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Huh, wonder if it's the LNB on the dish rather than the tuner. Post up with what was wrong if/when they fix it [​IMG]

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I have to agree with Donny here. I know someone who would always come in with the most astounding stories of woe and tragedy in her life. At first I used to be amazed at her bad luck, but once I got to know her, I started to realize that she is more prone to tragedy because of her attitude. She constantly feels that bad things are going to happen to her - and then they DO. She always sets herself up for tragedy.

I know you must be thinking "How does this relate to electronics"? How can your attitude make things break? It's not that your attitude is making them break, your attitude is making you focus on things and making a bigger deal of them...

For example, you always hear people saying how bad things always seem to happen on Friday the 13th, but that's because you're focusing on all the bad things throughout the day. If you take ANY day and focus on all the bad things, you will soon see that EVERY day is like Friday the 13th, it's just that we are more concious of the bad things on the 13th and that's why it seems like all Fri. 13th's are worse than other days.

p.s. Welcome Tim

7. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Are you sure your dish is anchored down tight? Mabe it's loose and the wind is blowing it around. Since I live in a apartment T can't bolt my dish to anything. So i have a 4x4 pipe clamped into the corner of my balcony. Every month or so I have to tighten it up.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

9. Tim-E

Tim-E Auditioning

10. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

11. Tim-E

Tim-E Auditioning

Ok I am going to risk a reply here, however this site is just crawling for me today, takes forever to load a page..

The tech from Starchoice got here a day late, he replaced the LNB. He said when he removed the cover to one of the LNB'S water gushed out.

He replaced it with a quad LNB.

I have been running great since 3 pm, no loss of signal at all. Lets hope that was the problem, sounds like it was.

Ok going to try and submit this post, lets see if the page doesnt time out.

edit

ok that went through fine and the site has sped up now.