1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Saying Hi, Talking subs....

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jon W., Aug 1, 2004.

1. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, nice to meet all of you, I'm making my first post here. Lemme just jump right in here and tell you about some of my setup. I am currently running...

(2)NHT VT-2.4 mains
    (1)NHT AC-1 center (can't find a VS-2.4 [​IMG] )
    (2)NHT VS-2a rears
    (1)NHT SA-3 driving the bottom half of the VT-2.4s
    (2)Klipsch KSW-15
    Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver

Now with that out of the way heres my topic of discussion. A friend of mine recently purchased one of the 15" Dayton Titanic sub kits. I was really impressed with it. I would like to possibly sell my Klipschs and go with a more musical sub but would still like to have the heft for movies. The idea of the Titanic being sealed really appeals to me, but I keep reading about these SVS subs and wonder if they can really compete with the tightness of a sealed enclosure sub? When I listen to music now I just turn my Klipschs off and let the 10's in my mains do all the work.

Throw me some opinions please, and thanks [​IMG]

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum.

SVS subs can do music just as good as it does movies, now I’m speaking from experience by owning the two of them. Also hearing other versions as well, some find this topic subjective so this is my opinion others may chime in if they choose to do so. I find that SVS subs are very accurate when properly placed, and calibrated YMMV depending on if you have a difficult room acoustics.

Ported vs. sealed is a hold other topic on it's on and will basically come down to personal taste in the end. I prefer ported personally, but you have to decide what best will suit your needs. I have not heard the sub kit you mention above but I have heard good things about it. You can give SVS a shot in your system for 45 days; if you don't like how it performed you can send it back. I would shoot SVS an e-mail of your room size, listening habits and let them recommend the right sub for you. They will not over sale you and have great CS.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I have a sealed tempest (BFD equalized) for music only and an SVS 25-31 PC in a separate HT room. The SVS performance for music is VERY CLOSE. For all purpose, an SVS is hard to beat. Despite the ported alignment, its very tight and musical.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I've worked with the Kit 15" Dayton Titanic, and I must say that it didn't seem to go very deep. (Although it did get pretty loud)

I've also worked with a Klipsch KSW 15... it's safe to say that either the Titanic or SVS will be a good upgrade over your Klipsch.

But if you want the upgrade to hit deeper, then consider a bigger SVS.. or an SVS that can compare to a big vented Tempest.

I don't think you'll "miss" the sound of a sealed sub once you get a chance to hear the HT experience of a sub that can hit the lows with authority. hehe

5. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Well thanks for the replies guys. I like the looks of the SVS PB2-Ultra but my god, for the money I could get 3 Daytons. I'm gonna think on it for awhile but I think I definitely will wind up selling the Klipschs in favor of an upgrade.

6. kyle ^_^

kyle ^_^ Agent

I think the Dayton kits look pretty nice. I keep thinking about the 12 or 15" kit, but i dont know if i will swing for one. If you get one, post some results on how you like it!

7. Jon W.

Jon W. Stunt Coordinator

Well the friend of mine that got the Dayton 15 also had a Klipsch 15. He tested them against each other and his results come out that the Dayton was about 6db stronger at max volume. He said with them tuned to the same volume the Dayton would make 90db notes out of 20Hz test signals at low volumes and the Klipsch wouldn't even move the needle and you couldnt even hear it. So It definitely plays lower.

8. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Sounds like a winner to me.

9. kyle ^_^

kyle ^_^ Agent

Anyone seen any real reviews on the MK III series subs?