What's new

Say, what does a Phase Coupled Activator do? (1 Viewer)

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Hey,
I'm a BIG processor fan and love to always add more to my system..
So, would I benefit from purchasing this item?
Thanks.
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Oh,
and what does a "Sonic Hologram Generator" do?
Processors, Processors and MORE processors!
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I've heard of the sonic hologram, I believe it's a proprietary circuit in Carver amps that does... something :) I haven't yet been able to determine what exactly it does, but I've heard comments about improved imaging, if that makes any sense. I doon't think it's just a virtual surround processor.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
the PCA synths a new bass tone identical to the source waveform...1 octave lower.
So if you feed it a 38hz signal...it adds a 19hz signal to the bass for your subwoofers to have fun with. You can control the apmtitude of the new signal too. It's a lot of fun to play with.
there's other units that do the same thing(more or less) from Dbx and Behringer too.
TV

Jeff Hipps

Stunt Coordinator
Sonic Hologram generation uses "interaural cross talk cancellation" to fool the brain into hearing a different sound stage.
To try to put that into English--when you listen in stereo your left ear hears the sound from the left speaker and a millisecond and a half later (or so), the same sound arrives from the right speaker. (This is especially true for centrally placed images.) Interaural cross-talk cancellation generates a delayed signal that's opposite in phase and is calculated to cancel the unwanted signal arriving from the other speaker. So your left ear hears only the sound from the left speaker and your right ear hears only the sound from the right speaker. It's kind of like turning your speakers into headphones.
When it is done perfectly, the listener hears sound which seems totally independent of the speaker locations and seems to come from anywhere within the front hemisphere.
It is highly postion dependent.
Jeff Hipps
Sherwood America

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys,
Would these things be good to improve my system?
and enhance my theater experiance?
If so,
Why?
Thanks for all your help,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Would these things be good to improve my system?
If you want to create lower bass tones than what's present in the source material, Yes. Otherwise, No.
If you want to create a much wider soundstage that works only when you're sitting in the sweet spot and collapses in other locations, Yes. Otherwise, No.
In other words, how can someone else answer that question for you? You got descriptions of what these processors do, only you can decide if you think you'll like their effects, right? At least, that's what it seems like to me...

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Alright, Alright.
I hear yah..
I think I'm gonna shot for a phase coupled activator.
Can I get some reviews/info on it?

John H

Second Unit
I use a pair of PCA III units in my system. 1 on a pair of HGS-18's and 1 in conjunction with a Behringer EX1200 on a pair of Buttkickers.
The PCA is a discontinued piece. This is the only online review of the Phase Coupled Activator that I know of.
John
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by John H on October 08, 2001 at 06:07 PM]

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Well Saurav,
You offended me so bad, I almost went through with comitting suicide..
laugh.gif

NathanP

Supporting Actor
So, will a PCA improve my bass significantly?
What's the cheapest brand/version of it?
What would you suggest?
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

John H

Second Unit
Other than the Audio Control PCA here are some links to the Behringer EX1200 and DBX 120XP
Between the EX1200 and PCA I would suggest the Audio Control unit if you can locate one. It seems to offer better performance generating 1 octave below subharmonics. It has 2 frequency sampling ranges to select from. 100-50 Hz for 50-25Hz SH and 70-30 Hz for 35-17½ SH.
I have no experience with the DBX unit. But from the specs it does not seem as well suited for HT.
If you do choose to use a subharmonic synthesizer be careful. They can overload a subwoofer very easily.
John
------------------
Link Removed

NathanP

Supporting Actor
heheheheh...
Anyone use a BBE sonic maximizer?
My father is a musician and an audio/visual producer so I hear from him and alot of his musician friends about stuff..
So, I was wondering about a BBE sonic maximizer, I've seen it before on a guys' HT website but have never heard one..
So tell me what you guys think about them,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks