Say it Isn't So Arnold

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stu Kobak, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Stu Kobak

Stu Kobak Extra

Is it true that Artisan Entertainment paid Arnold Schwarzenegger 75k to record the audio commentary for the special edition? Shame on Artisan for agreeing to Schwarzenegger's demand. Maybe it's time for fans to terminate Arnold!

2. Joey B

Joey B Stunt Coordinator

Commentary for what?

3. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

And you think Arnold should have worked for free?

4. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

That’s chump change for the big guy.
    I just heard he’s getting THIRTY MILLION for Terminator 3. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Shawn S

5. Stu Kobak

Stu Kobak Extra

Jesse:

I think there's been a spirit of generosity about commentaries on DVDs. It's talking about one's work. It's sharing. That's the way it should be. If you don't have that feeling about the work, don;t do the special edition commentary. The work, which many actors are well paid for, is acting, not recording commentaries.

Stu

6. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Stu,

You still haven't told us which movie you're talking about. I'm assuming it's T2, but it would be nice to know for sure.

7. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    total recall SE

JACOB

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

75k for "Yeah" and "You're right" and "Hahaha"

money well spent I'll tell you what

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Doing commentaries is still work and I don't see what's wrong with getting paid for it. Time is money....

10. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I hope he wasn't paid for his commentary on Conan The Barbarian, he ruined that track for me. The director had intereting things to say but Schwarzenegger's contribution was along the lines of "Dere's that guy I know!.... now I am hitting him wit my sword!... hahahah! oh ya dat scene is good... dere I am again wit my sword!"

I am sure that they think the 75K is worth it to say "Commentary with Arnold Schwarzenegger..." on the box, on the assumption that most people buying it haven't heard a Schwarzenegger commentary before.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    You think he does this for his health?

- Steve

12. Stu Kobak

Stu Kobak Extra

Steve:

Absolutely! Arnold needs to exercise those jaw muscles.

Stu

13. Peter D

Peter D Stunt Coordinator

Considering how poorly his last few movies have done, it's quite possible he's desperate for the cash. [​IMG]

14. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

In relative terms, 75k is not that much money. Arnold did work that has undoubtedly brought Artisan more money. Of course he should be paid for that.

15. Stu Kobak

Stu Kobak Extra

Joe:

Would it be fair to assume that Arnold gets a percentage of all video sales? I think so. Someone made a point that if he wants to get paid and Artisan wants to pay him, so be it. My feeling is that it commentary for pay erodes the spirit. I also think that when and if principals begin asking for bucks for commentary participation most studios will balk and DVD lovers will suffer.

Stu

16. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Stu, do you think that other actors/directors do not get paid to do commentaries? I always assumed they were paid, so this is no big deal. It would be naive to think otherwise in this day in age.

J

17. Stu Kobak

Stu Kobak Extra

Funny, Justin, I always assumed they did it for the fun and out of respect for the film they participated in making. It's also a valuable historical record for future generations. In fact, I know of a number of film principals that were interested in contributing per gratis commentary and/or other material to DVD releases and the releasing entitities were not interested at the time.

Stu

18. Scott Dill

Scott Dill Stunt Coordinator

Well, this is a rerelease (is that a word?)... A special edition. Therefore, Artisan is only releasing it because they hope to sell more of these than the last release due to the special features. It only make sense that those who create the special features get their cut.

I think its fair to say that Total Recall was and stil is intended to be a "for profit" effort.

19. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I don't have a problem with actors, et al, being paid for participating in commentary tracks, but 75K sounds pretty steep! Oh well, if Artisan was willing to pony up that kind of dough, I guess they thought it was worth it.

20. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Wish I could get paid 75K for someone to record my ramblings while watching a film for about 1½-2 hours!! [​IMG]